Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Other - tell us more please

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

Head in the clouds

Hi All,

It's evident that quite a few of us have browser problems quite often, on and off forum.

Please help with this poll and please - DON'T VOTE unless you're REALLY HAPPY with the browser you use, and you don't get any log-in drop-outs, lost posts, formatting problems etc.

If you do have browser problems please don't vote, but instead tell us here what problems you have and which browser you're using.

Also, please post here any browser matters/issues/improvements/whatever which you think are relevant.

Really appreciated, thanks,

Alan

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Safari seems to work ok most of the time.
I had some problems with format with iPad today. (Type went off end of page, weird)

autoreply

Firefox, anytime.

IE is only suitable if you like trash and virusses.
Chromium puts privacy down the drain
Safari... if I want to pay too much for something fancy I'd buy a Lancair, not a Mac.

The brilliant thing about Firefox are several plug-ins. I'd recommend ad-block and especially Ghostery to everybody. The latter blocks out not only ads, but all kinds of nasty plugins and tracking options, which, when you're not attacked roughly cut the loading time of many websites in half. Makes for far more comfortable surfing.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/

skier

Chrome is by far the fastest (and my favorite). Chrome in my opinion also has the cleanest look.

Firefox is my second favorite. It isn't quite as clean or fast as Chrome, but it's ok.

IE is terrible. Some websites have a second version just for IE, others just deal with the site not working properly, fonts not displaying, etc. It doesn't follow the same conventions the other browsers all use. It's slow. It's ugly.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to use Opera but too many websites don't play nicely with it... now use Firefox. Once in a great while I have to fire up IE for something. I also use Proxomitron as an ad blocker.

-Dana

There are no bugs in this software, only unfulfilled features.

Lemans

Opera...light and perfect for my new .....hu....10 year old Acer XP.
Did you guys know that there is a new mouse on the market, you can connect it with a cable and don't need to buy batteries anymore.
Ore...was it the other way around?

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Chrome is technically the best browser. Google, while I don't like some of their international theatrics make good products. I got away from IE to Chrome for a bunch of reasons, mainly having the operating system taking over the browser in ways I didn't authorize. My wife and I run an internet business that requires some really discrete browser based research and content testing and Chrome is the only one that allows us to do the things we want to do without the owners of the browser fighting with us and that includes Firefox, even though it is open source. That was a surprise. Never had any issues with posts being lost or lag and Chrome is by far the fastest and has the most applications and cross platform linking to Android phones and tablets.

AJLiberatore

Firefox, anytime.

IE is only suitable if you like trash and virusses.
Chromium puts privacy down the drain
Safari... if I want to pay too much for something fancy I'd buy a Lancair, not a Mac.

The brilliant thing about Firefox are several plug-ins. I'd recommend ad-block and especially Ghostery to everybody. The latter blocks out not only ads, but all kinds of nasty plugins and tracking options, which, when you're not attacked roughly cut the loading time of many websites in half. Makes for far more comfortable surfing.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/
Yes, Firefox, so many wonderful add-ons, Ghostery is one. No-Script became a pain, but try some of these....

To stop adds and Junk on your machine;
On top of Ghostery; Twitter, Google, and Facebook Disconnect, Browser Protect, and HTTP's are Everywhere, (but that one hung my system up a bit)...

For Speed;
Ramback, Tweak Network ( their are others that do the same type of thing try them too,) Vacuum Places, Memory Fox, Speed DNS, Faster Fox or Faster Fox Lite. Also "Speedfox" to clean up your Sqlite files outside on your desktop.

Other interesting ones;
Better Privacy to stop "LSO's", ECleaner for cleaning errors, PDF Download, and the most Unique for Firefox and Thunderbird is "ProfileSwitcher". This allows you to have multiple profiles, imagine a browser for airplanes, one for family etc etc, and ditto that multiple emails. It's tricky to set up but I finally got the hang of it. A really wild one ? Aynonomx ( spelled correct ?) to surf with no traces, via proxy but it is slow, interesting concept however, and a good write up on Mozy's add-on site and that is why I installed it and then took it off. That is what is neat with Firefox Add-Ons, if you don't like it, remove it !

So many add-ons so little time :)....

Anthony

clanon

Don't forget that Crome is ligthened up version of Netscape-Firefox...
With add blockers;fixing the flash issue and a little fine tunnig is one of the best "on specs challenged PCs like mine"
With a lot of power and bandwidth you wont notice some drawbacks on either browser.

PS: ISP may be involved on browsing issues too.

Head in the clouds

Thank you all for your input.

I have been using Chrome and am sick of being logged out every time I return to the forum even though I haven't closed the browser.

So, based on the results here I am giving Firefox a go but it's noticeably very much slower, a couple of you mentioned that, maybe I'll have to try the Ghostery add-on and see if that speeds it up significantly. If not I'll probably go back to Chrome because the time taken to log back in isn't much but the time taken waiting for web pages to open is lamentable.

Cheers,

Alan

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter

I have been using Chrome and am sick of being logged out every time I return to the forum even though I haven't closed the browser.

So, based on the results here I am giving Firefox a go but it's noticeably very much slower, a couple of you mentioned that, maybe I'll have to try the Ghostery add-on and see if that speeds it up significantly. If not I'll probably go back to Chrome because the time taken to log back in isn't much but the time taken waiting for web pages to open is lamentable.

Cheers,

Alan
Have you allowed Chrome to remember passwords for the HBA site? Have you fiddled with the security settings at all? Are there any network timeouts set into any of your kit? I can leave Chrome set up and leave it indefinitely and it never times me out. I am running a significant piece of 19" rack hardware with Vista with all auto updates shut down and hiding behind a hardware firewall and some other port forwarding tricks and even with all that I don't have time outs or logouts other than power outages from living up a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

What operating system are you running? What build of Chrome?

bmcj

HBA Supporter

Cheers,

Alan
I often use Chrome and have no problems with logouts or timeouts. Aircar used to have frequent timeout problems on this forum.... I wonder if the issue might be specific to a common Internet Service Provider or some other distinct network feature "down under"?

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter
I often use Chrome and have no problems with logouts or timeouts. Aircar used to have frequent timeout problems on this forum.... I wonder if the issue might be specific to a common Internet Service Provider or some other distinct network feature "down under"?
Aircar is a self proclaimed Luddite and has never answered questions about his computer, operating system, etc... So I think his case might be self inflicted. I am not sure that is the case for HITC. I don't think ISPs generally create these sorts of things as they have to service many customers with many needs and setups. It is more apt to be a modem/router setup issue or an operating system setup issue. At the end of the foodchain is the browser itself. It is possible to set up timeout shutdown settings but most people never encounter a problem with defaults on most wired home systems. Bandwidth scales in certain cable party line type systems and certainly on cell phone data networks with tablets and smart phones. But those are all testable and tunable as well. I have become a reluctant network administrator on my machines. Mainly because my ISP is always changing crap without telling me, like their recent migration to Gmail as the behind the scenes provider of our private personal email <grumble>.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does this have to do with flying?
It affects talking here about flying...

-Dana

We are sorry, you have reached an imaginary number.
Please rotate your phone ninety degrees and try again.

autoreply

Another usefull add-on for Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/flashgot/

I use it a lot, you basically can batch-download almost everything. Think of technical report or photo albums where you can save all the high-res pics in a single click. Empty whole servers or use Google cleverly and assemble your whole documentation in two clicks:

Just an example:
site:http://ntrs.nasa.gov winglet type:pdf - Google zoeken

I search within the NACA-server, for PDF's only on a certain term (winglets) and with 100 search results I only have to click twice in Flashgot to download all of them.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
My biggest (and really, only major) issue with Firefox is the one that caused me to dump it in favor of Chrome: Every time they do an update (and that's every few weeks), it breaks one or more plugins, and often the plugin for my anti-malware software. I just can't deal with that kind of gaping security hole until the plugins get caught up, only to have it break again a few weeks later.

Chrome isn't perfect, but it's pretty darned good, and serves my needs very well. I have my privacy settings at Google cranked down pretty hard, and regularly check my profile on their site to see what information they're gathering (have gathered) about me, and it's extremely minimal. Google gives you the option to opt-out, if you want. I agree that it ought to be opt-in, but I have no problem taking responsibility for my online privacy.