Brock Avion

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Goflybefree

I am just wondering if anyone has any info on the Lovejoy/Brock Avion ? In particular photos, old magazine articles etc. There is almost no info on the web (at least that I can find).

A nice simple ultralight ....

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Couldn't find the pic BJC did - and I have the book somewhere with a hard copy.
It is the only picture I have ever seen of the plane. There is a short article in Ultralights and Microlight Aircraft of the World by Berger-Burr.

Goflybefree

BJC thanks to the link to the previous thread. Looks like that didn't dig up much info which suggests that there is little to be found.

Hot Wings, I forgot about Berger Burrs. I have a copy. I will check. Thanks for the reminder.

Gregory Perkins

Wouldnt it be nice if you could go to Google Library and browse through all the old issues of the UL magazines ... remember the ones from AOPA, Air Progress, EAA and Glider Rider etc. Hundreds of thousands of dollars revenue at EAA where we trusted them to safe keep the important info regarding aviation and they were happy to take our dollars when the ULs were hot but now they have removed the ULs from the museums at Oskosh and Sun&Fun. Obviously it is costly to maintain a physical presence such as a museum for ultralights, but it should be affordable to make and maintain an internet museum ..... Even that is costly ..... So something like that should pay its own way.... I guess much like this forum website. I would say that if no one was able to find anything about the AVION,
95 percent of the UL history is already lost. It appears to me that the AVION overall layout is similar to a Kolb Ultrastar

then Avion-Brockcover 1lg.JPGBrochure-1back med.jpgAvion-5-sm.jpg

Last edited:

Goflybefree

Wow ... thanks.

Do you have the complete magazine or just the front cover picture ? I was aware of that pilot report in Glider Rider but have not been able to find it. If you have the complete magazine, any chance of getting a copy of the pilot report ?

I share your sentiments on EAA etc. I am no longer a member. Too much focus on warbirds and other expensive toys that average people can only dream about. They were founded as an organisation for homebuilders with the concept of helping the average person build aircraft but they have lost the plot. Homebuilt these days seems to mean a $100,000+ kit.

Anyway back on the Avion .... I found the following on the Brock Avion in Janes All The Worlds Aircraft 1984-1985.

Attachments

challenger_II

The Avion, and the Sand Piper, have always captivated my imagination. The ultimate in dirt-simple aircraft.
What has always tweaked my mind, tho, is how did they control the woggle-joggle of the aft fuselage?