Broad new UAS rules proposed today

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

Oh it is still done by some. Always intrigued by it. They run the motor less for competition nowadays because most fields are smaller than the past. It’s pretty special to get a plane to change its flight profile only by if the engine is running or not.

BTCrenshaw

HBA Supporter
I believe fines for illegal use of drone, or RC airplanes , (Don't Work) ; wealthy
people simply don't care about fines, poor people just don't pay ; if they got 6-months
in jail, along with a few Thousand hours of community service , (that might work) ?

Bille
This goes along with my complaint about saying "the punishment should fit the crime". No it shouldn't. The punishment should be 10 times or more worse than the crime. That is called a deterrent!

Unfortunately for drones the same issue that has plagued amateur radio has occurred with them. Amateur Radio before the 90's was self regulated. Yes the FCC had their rules but HAM's took care of the airwaves and problem children. Those that didn't want to follow the rules found no one to talk to or in some instances a visit from the FCC (when the FCC cared about actually doing something about problems). The FCC eventually backed out of supporting the HAM's and now in some areas of the country the airwaves for HAM's sound like CB Radio (Las Vegas NV comes to mind).

Instead of the FAA allowing this to happen with drones, they are simply going to come down pretty hard so it's difficult to use a drone for other than business.

Thank goodness with ultralights the FAA went a different direction, thinking they could take away the training without actually killing part 103 and the hobby would die. This action made a sizeable dent, but it didn't kill the hobby. There are those that are happy this happened because it's a smaller group with less problems.

If the FCC had continued its support of HAM's with problem children that needed government intervention, then that would be a model for both ultralights and drones. My point is that rarely does any government agency actually cause an outcome that they expect with their changing of rules and regulations. We're just going to have to see what happens with the drone community and the new rules and regulations.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Darn, BTC. Do you really mean that? If you do, I like the way that you think.
BJC
...and in the meantime, jail cells are swinging open to release murderers, pedophiles and rapists because of COVID and overcrowding. But we must do something about the plague on society that is the rogue drone user!

TFF

The AMA tried to cash in on drones instead of put at arms length, so there was no leg to stand on even though modelers self policed since day one. All that was wiped away. The last minute trying to explain differences to a group of people who haven’t a clue will never go your way.

R90s

HBA Supporter
Did the FAA specify the broadcast power requirement for the UAS ID. Bluetooth Tx is a small chip if the broadcast power requirement is low. GPS solutions continue to get small smaller. Depending upon the power needed, this may not be a big burden to add to all RX sold in the states. The idea that agencies are making it that much harder to buildup electronics from scratch is conceptually

R90s

HBA Supporter
Conceptually, it seems wrong for the FAA to impose these new restrictions, but in practice, if the power requirements are low enough, the commercial radio control receivers will have these functions built in. Just like the transition from 72MHz to the 2 GHz, modelers will quickly replace gear. Most modelers do not build their own electronics for RX anymore (ACE, we miss ya). Sorry to be the voice of reason, but the outrage we all initially felt may be out of proportion to the issue.
Sorry for the jumbled text - I will never try to post from my phone again

TFF

I believe the idea is for the police to be able to identify the flyer through a database immediately. With the ID they can ID you with your info. It makes sure the window gets payed for when the baseball goes through. There are very few claims to the AMA insurance right now. When lawyers know where to go, it might make it not affordable to the main audience.

dave wolfe

I dont understand how commercial beyond line of sight uavs are going to be allowed when they dont have a means of visually avoiding legal manned aircraft that have no obligation to transmit their position and are perfectly legal to operate below 1000'.

But somehow model aircraft within line of sight ARE a problem.

xjgary

Drones are constantly flying over emergency and rescue operations, such as wildfires, busting the TFR's. Then the firefighting aircraft have to suspend operation. If this does not work they will have to outlaw drones. If an airplane busts a TFR they know who to arrest and suspend their flying privileges.

txkflier

I’ve flown radio controlled models for 57 years and have never come anywhere near a full scale aircraft. I did not want the AMA to associate itself with those who fly camera-equipped quadcopters. Those people aren’t modelers nor do they care about aviation. Forcing me to report where my model plane and I are located is not going to stop the idiots who are causing all the problems.

Geraldc

Assuming that a small low cost device that can report it's position to a smart phone can be made and actually makes it to the market. I have to wonder how long it will take the general public to discover and start putting them on their pets, kids, the old lady...
Already available.A friend of mine put one on her cat and it had a daily route that covered quite a few blocks.

pwood66889

"Forcing me to report where my model plane and I are located is not going to stop the idiots who are causing all the problems. "
That is not the problem that is trying to be solved. Powers That Be must appear to be doing Something!