Broad new UAS rules proposed today

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cblink.007

As a bemused foreigner I find it extraordinary that that same child can have free access to an automatic military assault rifle
Last time I checked, you must be 18 to purchase a rifle or a shotgun, and 21 for a handgun. Anyone 18 or older is considered an adult. Our constitution allows for gun ownership so we can defend ourselves or fight against a rogue government. Lawless criminals aside, those of us who own firearms do so responsibly. Automatic weapons are illegal unless you possess special permits. But I digress; the discussion of American law and weapons is for other forums.

This UAS law is crap, and will only stand to hurt aviation. It is already bad enough that ARFs and RTFs dominate the market, and a total tragedy that the youth is appearing to lose interest in aviation. Think "negative feedback loop" effect.

I have already sent my complaint letters off via email.

rollerball

Sorry everyone, I did not intend or wish to start a debate about US gun laws. That's not for this place. I was merely alluding to the number of recent occasions when a young person legally (apparently) had ready access to powerful weapons and was able eg to enter their local school and create mayhem whereas it will soon be illegal for that same young person to fly a light-weight hobby drone in the desert at minimal altitude in Class G airspace. That's all.
I think that drones under 250 gms (?) will be exempt from this madness but that still leaves the majority that people want to fly which are under the 800 gm limit (Hubsan Zino, Fimi X8, etc etc) which is the cut-off point in Europe beyond which strict rules apply plus pro licencing standards. Even so there are still rules here on how and where you can fly drones which are enforceable.
Already a drone pilot in the US has been awarded a fine of $180,000 for repeated offences of flying illegally. Surely that's the way to go, not to penalise all pilots (the majority) who do follow the rules. It's tantamount to making EVERY light aircraft in the US carry a transponder and/or ADSB-out to catch the few who fly dangerously and/or infringe airspace. Would that be acceptable or right? I don't think so.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I suspect that the term you are getting hung up on is the media’s new favorite: “legally acquired”. This term is used to imply that firearms, despite being “legally acquired” are still "bad" because they are plentiful to criminals who want to do criminal activity. So despite what may be lost in the translation to Europe, when little Johnny shoots up a school with a legally acquired firearm, that does not mean he stopped by Walmart to buy said firearm on his lunch break. Generally it means that he broke into his parent’s gun safe and stole the weapon (which was probably purchased legally, registered, and stored properly) with full knowledge and intent to carry out his murderous rampage. But the fact that little Johnny has murder and evil in his heart and uses said weapon on his classmates does not make the tool “evil” or at “fault”. Just like the drone used improperly to disrupt firefighting air ops, spy on the neighbors or cause near misses with airliners (also recent and frequent occurrences on news/youtube), this does not make the OBJECT evil or at fault - it is the BEHAVIOR of the person at the controls that is the problem.

So you, as a passionate, responsible drone enthusiast should be able to completely understand how every passionate, responsible firearms owner feels about criminalizing ownership of an inanimate object. The societal challenges faced by the “responsible” drone pilot is an excellent analog for the societal challenges faced by the “responsible” gun owner – I fully agree with you that society needs to focus on the person responsible for the crime, not the object used in the crime.

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thank you.

My training in firearms started at 5 years old target shooting with a .22 rifle. Was allowed to go hunting with other people at 8 years old, was allowed to hunt by myself at 10 years old. My taught my 3 children gun safety and how to shoot. When they were in the 7th and 8th grade the local Sheriff and Deputies came to the grade school and taught gun safety to all of the children. Oldest son was classified as what I call, "Sharp Shooter" in the military. 49 bulls eyes out of 50 in basic training. I ask him how he missed the one. He said the firearm was not sighted in correctly and pulley up and to the right.

Now back to Drones. Drones first, frisbees and bicycles next. It's all for your own good.

Last edited:

Bille Floyd

You mean like being shot in the chest instead of the head. Guess you are right. In the chest is great.
Pops --Were both getting older ; things aren't the way they were, when
we were young. Youtube fanatics , are perfectly willing, and capable of
shutting down airports, and grounding firefighters helicopters ; for no
other reason, but to feed their EGO. Something, "Had" to be done about
it.
Like i said :
The feds could have gone Way further, with the laws they implemented ; so
don't blame them , (blame the ass-wipes who couldn't control their need
for publicity) , and their parents, for not correcting them when they were kids.

Bille

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
What happens with people grow up and never been responsible for their actions and never told NO. Not being taught at home and NOT being taught at school . Cause and effect.

Bille Floyd

Not being taught at home and NOT being taught at school . Cause and effect.
I believe fines for illegal use of drone, or RC airplanes , (Don't Work) ; wealthy
people simply don't care about fines, poor people just don't pay ; if they got 6-months
in jail, along with a few Thousand hours of community service , (that might work) ?

Bille

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The gov used a large hammer that included RC airplanes that was not the problem. Flown in line of sight at all times. The problem was Drones not RC aircraft. The question is , why did they include RC airplanes when there was no problems ? Most RC aircraft is flown at RC fields that is away from an aircraft traffic and flown responsibly. Why not include frisbees ?

TFF

The lightest “drone” I have is about 1 1/2 pounds and the heaviest is under 20. Really is a imposition when you can’t go to a farm and fly a model airplane. Most flying I do is at a club, but I do like to take one to the in-laws place every once in a while. It is a burden on equipment to. Although I do have a newer nice radio, only new planes are added to it. I fly mostly with old stuff because that’s what is set up. I even fly some on 72mhz still. All that stuff and what is new in the stores is junk now. Or extra valuable for an anarchist. Maybe my collection of Kraft radios might be worth something again.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Old stuff might still be allowed at the club field. If not, a large percentage are prepared to ignore rules.

dave wolfe

The only folks really at risk of rc model airplane infractions are professional pilots as the faa can revoke pilot certificates and hence livelyhoods. There are a LOT of pro pilots who enjoy RC.

TFF

Supposed the field is considered a known hot spot. At some point they will be on charts. Have to be. What can happen is charter costs will go through the roof. Now you have to announce to the community “here is a field, danger”. Most cities have no laws on the books for RC, but now you will get thrown in the strip club bin of grandfathered but unwanted. For a long time it will be an unknown reg to the regular person, but once Barney Fife knows he can harass... Cost of new club may be undo able. RC is the first level of hard core airplane lovers. Some are the hardest core. Makes Oshkosh look like a nursery except for the cost.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have been involved in aviation almost all of my life from wanting to hang out at the airport and watch the airplanes on Sundays a couple miles from my house starting when I was 5 years old at the end of WW-2. Started building models at 8 years old, Control line models at 12 years old, RC models at 18 years old and was 9th in national contest one year. Always an airport bum at heart. Been flying airplanes about 50 years. Had 2 flying jobs in my life. Started building homebuilts in the mid 1970's. Together from the homebuilts that I have built and the old factory airplanes that I have completely restored to new, I think its 13 airplanes.
So, it's very hard on me to see what is happening in GA and RC in this country. We will never see the heighth of GA like we saw in the 1960's, 70's and to mid 1980's.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The lightest “drone” I have is about 1 1/2 pounds and the heaviest is under 20. Really is a imposition when you can’t go to a farm and fly a model airplane. Most flying I do is at a club, but I do like to take one to the in-laws place every once in a while. It is a burden on equipment to. Although I do have a newer nice radio, only new planes are added to it. I fly mostly with old stuff because that’s what is set up. I even fly some on 72mhz still. All that stuff and what is new in the stores is junk now. Or extra valuable for an anarchist. Maybe my collection of Kraft radios might be worth something again.
Need a reed bank ? Maybe a 3 volt Mighty Mouse electric motor for pulse rudder ? How about a tube used in the first RC receivers , needed plate and filament batteries. Still have my first proportional that I built in 1965 ( 27mh) Also have a radio on the newer :) 72 mh. So looks like my little foamie electric of 22 ounces will go on the shelf. Shame.

TFF

I kick myself when a local hobby shop had to close and I passed on a ten channel reed setup. It probably went in the trash. The shop had been closed for a while from owner health problems. What no one knew was the roof leaked and had to be managed, which is what the owner did, and probably breathed in enough mold over the years to build a house on. No one had been inside for eight months. Horror story.

Bille Floyd

Just fly under 400' AGL , until the year 2023 , and you will be complaint
with the law ; after 2023, you will need remote ID , (which hasn't bin invented yet)
Unless :
You weigh under 250 grams (0.55 lbs), and then you don't need remote ID ; but
the 400' AGL rule still applies.

I fly a Lot of 4-meter span type, unpowered gliders , so the 400' rule was gonna
suck, (for me) ; but there is a work-around loophole on that one, (think about it) ! :)
To make the loophole more fun ; i'm gonna purchase some FPV gear, for my
glider , (goggles, and on-board video transmitter, with camera).

Bille

TrikeTrash

Assuming that a small low cost device that can report it's position to a smart phone can be made and actually makes it to the market. I have to wonder how long it will take the general public to discover and start putting them on their pets, kids, the old lady...

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
OR on everyone that is allowed to leave the house.
No, I don't own a smart phone. Since I retired, I don't even wear a watch.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Was just thinking about FF models. I'm old enough to remember going to FF contests in Central California when I was a kid 45 years ago. Do they still do that today? Not talking about rubber models, but the screaming, nitro powered Fox .35, launch straight up at the speed of heat, prop brake, dethermalizer, competition stuff. How does that fit, and is anyone still doing that type of modeling?

...or for that mater, how about model rockets? Some of those go pretty high.

Last edited: