Broad new UAS rules proposed today

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by BBerson, Dec 27, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 26, 2020 #121

Pops

Pops

Pops

I was in the RC model airplane club with Walt Good in Pittsburgh , Pa in the 1950's.

2. Feb 11, 2020 #122

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Comment period ends on March 2nd.

3. Feb 12, 2020 #123

jvliet

jvliet

jvliet

The NPRM proposes harsh new restrictions on model airplane flying that will effectively outlaw the activity within a few years (via elimination of flying sites). AMA and EAA have already taken a strong position against this NPRM.

If you feel strongly (as I do) against this NPRM, what you MUST DO before March 2nd, 2020 is to write three letters to your two US Senators and your US House Representative. You MUST state IN YOUR OWN WORDS why this NPRM is bad news, and tell your Congressmen to tell the FAA to withdraw this NPRM, and in your letter request their reply back to you. AND fax your letter (don't mail it as there is a 4-week anthrax scan delay before your Congressman's office receives it).

This is a fight against the big package delivery companies such as Amazon, UPS, Domino's Pizza etc. who already have effective ways to deliver their goods using manned ground delivery trucks.

FAX YOUR LETTERS NOW !!

billyvray likes this.
  4. Feb 13, 2020 #124

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

I have sent comments to my reps. I also added my own comments on the federal regulation page itself. This rule is terribly put together and is a "land-grab" (sky grab?) being pushed by big money and using fear to make all little aircraft look like dangerous weapons. As if someone wanting to do harm would use legally obtained and registered aircraft....

5. Feb 13, 2020 #125

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
    Does the FAA really have nothing better to do than to tick off the RC modeling community?

I just found the loophole solution. Tie a little piece of string to your quadcopter, and it then falls under "Kite regulations". It pays to know your history.

"Only three months later Lambie helped promote the Montgomery meet at the site of the John J. Montgomery Memorial in San Diego. But a second meet, so soon after the first one, brought an inquisitive shark from deeper waters. "The FAA called Mark and wanted a complete list of participants so they could charge them with flying unlicensed aircraft, flying close to people, flying after major structural damage and repairs without inspection, no type ratings for Some of the flyers, et cetera. Mark said he had no idea who the People were and our own ship was tethered at all times, bringing it under kite regulations. We heard no more from them?"

"For months afterward, shrewd hang glider pilots kept useless strings dangling from their craft to prove, if necessary, that they were nothing more than kites. "

Source: "Manbirds: Hang Gliders & Hang Gliding" by Maralys Wills, 1981
    http://www.privitt.com/hang_loose.htm

Your quad needs a yaw string underneath anyway, you know, to know which way that air is blowing. Keep yourself a roll of string handy too ;-) You know, to fly your quad copter kite, and also pull it down out of a kite eating tree... but then you probably already do. If anyone asks, your string broke, and you're about to retie it. Every jury in the world understands kite strings break.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  6. Feb 25, 2020 at 1:48 AM #126

Bille Floyd

Bille Floyd

Bille Floyd

I guess Ya missed the part about that ( $ 1/4 million dollar) fine if you
    get caught ? Glad , "You" got the money to burn, on lawyers ; me ----
    i'm kinda on a Fixed income, with a VA disability, so i will comply
    reluctantly .

Here are the New Nevada laws , just out ; and they really suck :
    https://www.shouselaw.com/nevada/NV...E2rLfGXv0ec5Sk8CySt--m-G39aIJq8RLoahw3sMJgU#5

Bille

7. Feb 25, 2020 at 2:47 AM #127

Pops

Pops

Pops

In the not to distant future pilots for the military, airlines , etc are going to get harder to get. So its going to effect the national security. Large percentage of pilots started flying models as a kid and progressed on as they grew up. When I was scratch building all of my RC equipment and designing, scratch building all of my models in the 1950's, I would never believe we would be where we are in this country today. Not the same people.

8. Feb 25, 2020 at 1:07 PM #128

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

9. Feb 25, 2020 at 4:12 PM #129

Bille Floyd

Bille Floyd

Bille Floyd

Fly no higher than 400 feet; and no further than 400' away.

Keeping my 4M ,(157" span) carbon glider, and my Aero-Works, 102" span
    100cc Extra 260, in a 400' box ; would get boring, kinda fast ! I have
    thousands of dollars, invested in this hobby , with some rather large
    airplanes ; and now i can't go out to the Dry lake desert , (30 miles away) to
    fly them. I also have an EDF jet, that does over 100mph ; may as well
    toss that one in the trash.

Yea -- that kinda Sucks , and it's gonna be a country wide law shortly ; or
    i'd move to a state, that would allow it.

This ain't the reason a went into the military to defend this
    country ; so sum schmuck could sell ,"ALL" the airspace , to Amazon
    so they can deliver their boxes of chineese junk .

Bille

TFF likes this.