Broad new UAS rules proposed today

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
The operating word here is enforcement.
A quick scan of the document indicates it will do nothing to help integrate UASs with the existing aviation fleet* and offers no real time safety benefit to the general population.
Thus it is only useful for post event identification and enforcement.

Looks like little more than an electronic version of the old "give us a few $'s and put a serial number on your drone" rule of a few years ago.

And much like a bunch of our other laws and regulations it will only effect those that choose to follow the rules, and would likely do so even without the regulation putting common sense into words.

*Two separate systems that don't talk to each other!?! = Band Aid.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
This is so disappointing on so many levels. I've been involved in RC since the 70s and now we will be regulated into the dust bin. This will bring too much harm to our hobby.

Pops

Log Member
Yeah, I can't tell if AMA members at established RC fields will be exempted or not.

Not that I can see.
So, living in the middle of nowhere, I can 't take my little 18 ounce , electric foam model airplane out in my yard and fly it unless I jump through enough hoops almost as if I wanted to fly my little 300 lbs homebuilt airplane.
I would have never believed something like this would happen when I was scratch building all of my RC equipment back in the 1950's. The march well past 1984.

litespeed

Funny the way some things go...

We have for years been forced to be club rego and insurance to fly RC planes with fuel engines.

Now here in Australia, most use electric and ignore the club costs. But we have had rego of UAVs for a while.

Little drones and rc should be free to enjoy.

[Moderator Edit: Snipped ENTIRELY off-topic comparison to other regulation.]

Last edited by a moderator:

BJC

HBA Supporter
If this trend continues, we will have to pass a written knowledge test, a practical skills and judgement test, and have our bodies probed by a physician, just to fly our little airplanes.

BJC

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
There is a written test coming soon for those of us that are recreational flyers.......hopefully online and administered through AMA.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Moderator Note: This thread is a powderkeg. Watching it closely. Stay on-topic, don't generalize to other regulation regimes, regulation topics, or regulation/politics in general.

Pops, thank you very much for your restraint. Sincerely.

proppastie

Log Member
Yeah, I can't tell if AMA members at established RC fields will be exempted or not.
Under the proposed rule, UASwould be permitted to operate without remote identification equipment if they are operatedwithin visual line of sight and within an FAA-recognized identification area......

The FAA agrees with the ARC determination that 400 feet is a reasonable distance for visually
associating an unmanned aircraft with the location of its control station, and has included a
400-foot range limitation in the requirements for limited remote identification UAS.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I just got a .57 lb drone for Christmas. Of course, it might be worn out before this rule takes effect... :D

gtae07

I haven’t had a chance to read the proposal or provide a formal comment yet... but I hope that the registration and real-time surveillance is every bit as invasive and open to the public as it is for manned aircraft. If any fool with an internet connection can look up a tail number and get a home address, drones should be subject to the same. Maybe then, with the public outcry, we can fix the issue with real airplanes.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I heard a drone rep on the news last night and he said this surveillance issue is a real problem for them.

pictsidhe

Unfortunately, this regulation is a reaction to the growing number of assorted eejits who shouldn't be flying. It would be nice if the FAA could clamp down on said eejits without spoiling the fun for the sensible RC folk. If the FAA has limited means, that won't be easy for them, hence the sledgehammer. There have already been near misses and possible hits with aircraft, drones have also crashed into crowds. Knowing who is sensible and who isn't is going to be tricky without watching everyone.

Surveillance of UAS? There will be a huge number of them, the FAA aren't going to be watching them unless something happens. Quite likely this is for automated alerts when one is flying somewhere it shouldn't. No, it still won't work with the smarter do-badders who know how to fly under the radar.

Unless somebody comes up with a better way for the FAA to catch the eejits, we may be stuck with this.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Surveillance of UAS? There will be a huge number of them, the FAA aren't going to be watching them unless something happens.
Per the document - The FAA is planning on outsourcing this whole thing. I bet you a Zukker that someone has the resources to track all of this.;):oops:

There will also be an ASTM, or similar, group set up to craft the standards.

Hephaestus

Given DJI uses adsb in/out... It's easily added to any drone... Why the heck is it not just being adopted? I really don't get the rationale...

No let's come up with a whole different standard that doesn't work for everyone?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Per the document - The FAA is planning on outsourcing this whole thing. I bet you a Zukker that someone has the resources to track all of this.;):oops:
Just farm it out to Facebook or Google, they already have intrusive levels if information on everyone. :beer:

(I’m sure that was your point of betting a ‘Zukker’.)