Bringing our RV (the kind with a steering wheel) to OSH for first time

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by smittysrv, Jun 28, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 28, 2019 #1

smittysrv

smittysrv

smittysrv

It's a 31 foot class C. Any suggestions or do's/don'ts?

2. Jun 28, 2019 #2

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Do tell us your camping address and unit colors, we will visit.

Bring plenty of beer with you, getting it on the field is tough.

Come to the coffee klatch at HBHQ some mornings.

Bring bikes or mopeds or scooters, it can be a long ways from camper to entrance.

Billski

3. Jun 28, 2019 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

Bring a bike or three and don’t get stuck in the mud. All else is easy money.

4. Jun 28, 2019 #4

Pops

Pops

Pops

Almost always an OSH storm so---- Don't get stuck in the mud is the big one.

5. Jun 28, 2019 #5

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I'm keeping on touch with friends in Osh. They say the campgrounds are awash after the last rains. they went to stake out a spot for me and it's water logged and soft. No way I can pull a fifth wheel in there.
    We need to watch the weather closely and hope for a couple of weeks of dry warm weather to dry out the fields. I fear a wet year will cause serious problems for campers, the heavier airplanes.....
    Last night Osh was soaked again...…..

6. Jun 29, 2019 #6

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Stop at Wal-Mart and get all the food, drink, snacks, bottled water, and sunscreen for the whole week. Get as many lunches and fruit and candy bars and chap-stick and whatever you will need outside the gate, Wal-Mart is usually the best price. Getting any of that stuff inside the gate will be expensive enough to put you in a bad mood.

Make sure you have a generator that works well enough and reliably enough to run the air conditioning. You will thank me for this advice.

You also need to remember four very important letters and three very important numbers: DEET 100%. Accept no substitute.

7. Jun 29, 2019 #7

smittysrv

smittysrv

smittysrv

Thanks Guys! I remember the year they called it "OshSlosh", pulling beautiful (and expensive) RV's out of the mud with a big tractor!

8. Jun 29, 2019 #8

TFF

TFF

TFF

What has been bad the last couple of years is the tent spots have been overrun by campers. Overflow. I usually tent or use the pop up. Those spots are not prime camper spots but sometimes all you get. Most of the people who get stuck are the ones who will dig a hole with the wheels to the frame. Unless you go to some of the big music festivals, you will be amazed when you see how many people are camping together.

One of the things I learned last year is the town rolls up the carpet at 9pm. I had never been off airport except the times I stayed in the dorms. McDonalds closes at 9. Everything closes at 9 except the Perkins.

9. Jun 29, 2019 #9

onpetree

onpetree

onpetree

We've been 35 Plus years... in tents, pop-ups, motorhomes, and now Travel Trailers. When finding a spot to park an RV do not park where the grass is brown... This is always a mud hole mid week. Never leave your awning out unattended. Oshkosh T-Storms will tear it off. Bring at least 2 pair of shoes... so one can be wet the other dry. Good rain gear is a plus. Stits Rd is the main drag for the bus route. Also, the dump stations are at the end of Stits. In my experience after a rain drys out Stits Rd is a DUST BOWL. You won't want to be close to it. Further, if you are going to ride the bus to the front gate there are many bus stops along Stits Rd. The nearer the bus stops are to the dump stations the less chance you'll have to get on... They fill up all along their route. I find the area between 10th and 20th and between Lindbergh and Schaick Ave. To be great for motorhomes. Close by there are the showers, Wifi, camp store. ...and right in front of the store just north of Schaick is the bus stop where the bus is almost always less than half full. Get within walking distance of this location and you'll save HOURS of walking. Have fun. BTW, Get there at least the Saturday before the official start. Feel free to contact me directly for any more questions... I'm going again this year for maybe the 37th or 38th time.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    BJC likes this.