• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Briggs & Stratton 993cc "Big Block" engine info/no theory, just the facts!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Dub

This is very similar to the thread I started on the Briggs Vanguard 627cc engine:

We call this "Experimental Aviation" for a reason. If you are a theory person or a "thrower of wet blankets armchair engineer", please don't reply to this thread. We only want to know what does or does not work by experience in the air not by some idea in between your ears. Just the facts ma'am, just the facts on the Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 993cc engines that have flown or are flying.

A lot of these engine threads become theory threads with "armchair engineers" saying why it can't be done, or people throwing "wet blankets" on ideas like "TV will ruin everything", or "it's not as good as certificated", or "stick with Rotax or Hirth", and showing spreadsheets to try to prove their theory. Naysayers keep quiet, what we do know is that others are experimenting and flying them successfully, albeit with some issues, and learning how to make it better. I want to know in the real world what has and hasn't worked so far so this can be somewhat replicated by others.

Who flew, what was their setup, and what worked and what didn't work:

Parazoom from Germany has many of the 993's converted and flying in trikes. From their own information:
Light 2-cylinder 4-stroke sports engine, tuned, with approx. 50 HP
Technical data:
- Approved for DULV, noise measurement + sample test possible without problems because very, very! quiet !
- approx. 1000 cc
- approx. 50 HP
- approx. 135 kg stand thrust
- Approx. 58kg weight including gear!
- Ribs - belts - reduction already installed (price is without propeller)
- designed for 1.6m 3 blade helix propeller
- including forced fan cooling, oil cooler, alternator, electric starter and manual (reversing) starter
- Fuel consumption 4.5 - 7.5 l / hour = 1.2-2 gph

Kleber in Brazil has also successfully flown the 993. There are some photos on the web. I don't have much info from him but I do have:
This engine is original internally and I added two carburetors that generated 115 kg of thrust, using the 1.8:1 redrive from ace aviation, I modified the pulleys from 14 to 16 ribs on poly v-belt, working perfectly!

I know the Vanguard 993cc engines are a bit heavier than the Subaru/Robin/Generacs that Valley Engineering used, but it seems like this might be a viable option to pursue for the 50hp needs or for those of us in the Western US that have high density altitudes in the hot summers.

Jay

Last edited:
Back