Briggs & Stratton 993cc "Big Block" engine conversation thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Ken Powell

I am planning on running carb heat. I'm going to use the oil cooler as the source of heated air. I have never experience carb ice on a dirt bike but in the air isn't the place for a first time. It will not be difficult to implement on a minimax.

Psycho18th

I am planning on running carb heat. I'm going to use the oil cooler as the source of heated air. I have never experience carb ice on a dirt bike but in the air isn't the place for a first time. It will not be difficult to implement on a minimax.
I think Fisher Flying Products sells an electric carb heat (Cozy Carb maybe?). Not sure if that’s appropriate for your application, but might be worth looking at.

Ken Powell

I was all set to buy forged aftermarket rods but wanted to look at part numbers again. Briggs has marine 37HP EFI engines rated to 4750 RPM using the same rod, piston and head assembly that is in my engine which I 'think' is rated at 3600 RPM. I suspect that since my engine is a generator engine the governor is set to 3600 rpm because that is all a generator can use. My best guess is that the rods, pistons and valves / springs are safe. These parts are running on mud boats at 4750 RPM. The cast crank is still a question mark. I'm trying to determine if a forged crank is available from Briggs. The guys at Performance V-twins might know?