• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Breezy exhaust testing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprucemoose

I've been told by more than one person that the Breezy is very loud when observed from the ground. Wanting to do something about it I did some research on various exhaust system designs and finally settled on a C-150 style system from Custom Aircraft Parts of El Cajon, CA. Their service was excellent and I am happy with the product. I would recommend them.

Lacking any serious sound measuring equipment I did the next best thing and shot a bunch of video of both systems, both in-flight and from the ground. I edited this down to a 3:45 video that shows the before and after, if anyone is interested.

My biggest fear is that I would suffer a loss in performance over the Y-style straight pipe system that I started with, but these fears were unfounded as I could not measure any loss in performance (measured by static RPM.) The weight penalty is not insignificant at 3 lbs, but I believe it is a worthwhile trade-off. Especially for low & slow types, I think we need to show some consideration to the noise footprint of our airplanes, lest we end up with burdensome requirements.

Back