• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Breaking down the spars of the wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

Some hang glider manufacturers, offer the option of cutting the tubes in two, or even more parts, so that the hanglider can be packed in a reduced span, for easy storage. Of course the inconvenient is that, it takes much longer to assemble the wing and be ready to fly. I believe that this was the approach of the Russian X14 amateur suitcase aircraft.

In any case, do you think that a broken down tube and fabric wing, can be assembled in a reasonable time?

This picture below, is a capture from a video of Finsterwalder Charly. It is a german manufacturer that sells deltas that can be folded into 1,80m. I believe the system they use can be replicated for a tube and fabric non pendular airplane.

Just guessing, I believe that for any cut in the tube of the wings the assembling time doubles. It would be much easier to use this system in a 2 axis aircraft, like the Chotia Weedhopper, than in a three axis aircraft. But it would be cool to do so, to bennefit from the extra lift of using flaps for shorter runs.

The Chotia weedhopper could fold the wings for storing. Did it took a long time to unfold and make it ready to fly?

Cheers,

Oriol

snapshot 1min54.jpg

Back