• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Brayton Cycle Rotary?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucrum

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/04/a_braytoncycle_.html

Looking at the Brayton Cycle Star Rotor in the link above I had a thought.

Would that same idea be workable with a modified Wankel rotary?

Just thinking out loud, use one rotor as a dedicated compressor and the other rotor as a dedicated expander. Like the Star Rotor design there would be a burner/combustor connecting the two rotors. I'm thinking you'll need to add some more ports to each housing yielding (I think) two compressions/expansions per rotor revolution. The primary advantages (I think) would be eliminating the large temp differences between the combustion and intake side of the rotors. The burner (theoretically) could be optimized for more complete combustion possibly improving specific fuel consumption and it may even make it a multi-fuel engine since rotor shape and ignition timing are no longer issues.

Anyone know if this or something similar has been tried?
Any thoughts on how or if it could even work?

Back