Brake line fittings

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Fenix

HBA Supporter
Is anyone familiar with the fittings in the attached picture. I need to change the length of the brake line so need to disconnect and reconnect these fittings but I don't know how they work. They are not such that they will take a wrench and pushing in on the "collar" does not seem to do anything. I did not try to get really aggressive with them, I'd rather know I am doing the right thing before I add force. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

Fenix

HBA Supporter
It looks like that fitting. It is not used on air, as can be seen in the photo it is 5606 hyd fluid. It is not even under pressure as it is just the line from the reservoir to the cylinder. Any idea on how it releases?

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
It looks like that fitting. It is not used on air, as can be seen in the photo it is 5606 hyd fluid. It is not even under pressure as it is just the line from the reservoir to the cylinder. Any idea on how it releases?
The collar at the end of each leg is pushed in - it's a standard for push-in fittings. You can use this tool:

Also see:

TiPi

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The twisting of the tube is important as the tube will have formed a small ridge and/or depression. Twisting and pulling it will break it free.

Fenix

HBA Supporter
Thanks guys that is the PERFECT information. I will make a tool like the one shown to apply more pressure and give it a twist. I was just reluctant before to apply much force, not being sure of the correct method. Looks easy, I will give it a try next time I'm at the hangar!