Bowers Fly Baby Plans?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Kyle Boatright

Are you an EAA member? Everything you need to build one is in Sport Aviation's archives. That's a little more work than buying a plans set, but it is doable.

Wanttaja

The plans are currently not being sold. I doubt they'll be offered again.

HOWEVER.... the Fly Baby is unique in that complete building instructions were printed in a 14-part series in EAA Sport Aviation magazine. This includes almost all the diagrams that were incorporated into the plans for sale.

If you're an EAA member, you can download these articles for free. EAA also published the entire series in 1970, along with several other good wood-airplane articles. EAA recently scanned in this book, it it is ALSO available as a free download for EAA members.

(edit: That's a weird-looking link, but it works fine)

I have taken that series of articles and have written what I call "Companion Guides" for most of them. These include all the insights Fly Baby builders have achieved on construction for the past ~55 years, plus dozens of detailed pictures and brand-new drawings. I believe these would be a tremendous help for those using either the magazine articles, the book, or if they find a used set of plans. It's all available for free download

I call it the PB100 project, because it kicked off on the 100th anniversary of Pete Bowers' birth. You can find it here:

Here's an example of one of the Companion Guides:

If you do Facebook, FB^2 (the Fly Baby Facebook page) has several builders just finishing up their aircraft, and they're posting astounding photos of the plane and its structure.

Ron Wanttaja

slohand42

I'm new on this forum, but I do have the plans to the FlyBaby if I can find them. It's doubtful I will be building it so I am willing to part with them.
Cool little plane.

Victor Bravo

And short of Pete Bowers miraculously showing up on this forum himself, Ron W is just about the most comprehensive source of credible information on the Fly Baby aircraft. So you can take it for granted that he's the most qualified to confirm, deny, or validate anything involving this particular aircraft.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
There’s a Jim Katz fella on the Fly Baby Facebook group who’s posting extremely nice photos of his excellent work. If you’re able and willing to do the Facebook thing It’s worth checking out.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
This is a fantastic resource! I recently read an article from a 1963 Popular Mechanics, that dealt with an EAA contest for easy build, easy fly small airplanes with folding wings. I'd like to look at the folding mechanisms to see how they can be adapted to newer designs. Having the diagrams and descriptions for the Flybaby is a good start. Now, where can I find information on the Turner T-40 , the Eaves Cougar 1, the Lacey M-10, and the Sport Tuholer. While I'm most interested in the wing folding designs. I wouldn't mind buying full plan sets ( it's always good to have options for the next project!).

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
The Turner T-40 plans are also in the EAA Sport Aviation online archives. There is a three-part series by Mr. Turner in the July, August, and September 1965 issues.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Awesome, thanks! It sounds like I need to check the archives for all these designs. That sport Tufour looks pretty nice.