• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bought a 2A042 - Now What?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
I bought a 2A042 from Robert Dingus just a few days ago. Good to meet another HBA member...great guy! He even had the patience to get me to our meeting place which took about 3 phone calls to get through my thick head how to follow his accurate directions.

Now the big question, and that is what to build to put the '042 on the front. Main thoughts are a MiniMAX of one sort or another but do want to keep under 254# to be a true, legal ultralight.

I really gravitate toward the HiMAX to get the protection of the cabin, clear downward view and easier to get in and out, but I wonder with the added structure if I could get it to 254#. I also wonder if the added drag of the cabin area would make the plane a real pooch with just 24-ish HP compared to an ultralight HiMAX that might have typically had a 28HP 277 Rotax.?

The other MiniMAX in consideration is the layout of the model 1030. More refined looking than the boxy 1100 MiniMAX I built a few years ago and I think keeping it <254# is quite do-able. My 1100 with a 277 Rotax was 246# empty and I have numerous ideas to save an ounce here and an ounce there to make weight even with the heavier engine. The 1030 is pretty slick looking compared to the HiMAX or even my 1100, and I think it would perhaps be better performing and fit for the '042.

FWIW...I plan to do some grooming to the '042 to save some weight there too. I'm pretty sure I can get it to 80# or slightly under which is maybe 10 or 11# over what my complete 277 Rotax package weighed on my 1100, and it was 8# under the ultralight limit.

One last thought is a Legal Eagle-ish plane. I haven't done a lot of weight calculations but I'm thinking the 4130 fuselage might actually be a bit lighter than a HiMAX fuselage. Downside is I don't think they are as "pretty" as the HiMAX (just my opinion). I have an opportunity to pick up a reasonably priced LE fuselage that already has another 2A042 and prop on it, along with wings that would need to be repaired and recovered. I hesitate though, thinking it might just be as easy to start from ground "0" rather than rebuilding and repairing and still not have the opportunity to make every part as light as possible without re-working a lot of stuff.

I know I'm throwing a lot out there, but look forward to some input on making the most from the 2A042. I've been fascinated with them since I first saw on of those little "airplane-looking engines" years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Lynn

Back