Bose A20 Phone Plug Repair

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

HomeBuilt101

Would you happen to know what color wire connects to the phone plug of the Bose A20 “GA wire harness”?

My phone plug broke off and I tried to do a continuity check to find what wires went to the jack however they were broken inside. I then tried to dig out the plastic molded on cable end however it pulled off the colored insulation from the wires so now I…and my headset…are dead in the water.

Any help would be greatly appreciative since Bose wants 300 bucks for a replacement cable.

HomeBuilt101

Sadly Stein did not know the wire colors because they never had one apart because I guess they are smart enough to not break off the dang plug...me...well not so smart...

I am still striking out in trying to figure out the wires

When I cut open the cable leading to the plug it has six colored wires (ORANGE/GREEN/ BLUE/ YELLOW/ WHITE/ BLACK) and the braided shield and three of those wires are supposed to be soldered on to the replacement plug (Neutrik NP3X) and it has three lugs (tip/center/ring)

I cut off the old phone plug and was expecting to find three wires and a shield but there are actually six colored wires (ORANGE/GREEN/ BLUE/ YELLOW/ WHITE/ BLACK) and the braided shield…

SO I took the old plug and dug into the molded on plastic plug end so as to find the colored wires however when I broke the plastic molded end off there were only three conductors soldered to the plug lugs and sadly the colored wire insulation came off with the plastic.

OK so fine...I went "high tech" and stripped all six wire ends and used a 1.5 volt battery to see if I could hear the headset speakers click when the wires were tapping to the battery hoping to find the mystery three wires.

Instead, only when the black and green wires are touched together will both speakers click. No matter what other combination of wires are touched together there will be no sound at all out of the speakers...so I was not clever enough to figure it out...

Why would a plug that has only three conductors have six wires routed to it?

So I do know the business end of a soldering iron and now I just need to know what color wires to solder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

HomeBuilt101

I also looked at the Bose User Manual and it has a wire diagram however that is how to wire the aircraft electrical system to accommodate their 6 pin receptacle and the wire colors for their receptacle are different than the ORANGE/GREEN/ BLUE/ YELLOW/ WHITE/ BLACK that is in the cable.