Book recommendations? Structural design?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Winginitt

Ever thought about attending one of the EAA workshops on composites ? Might get some good contacts there that can answer questions for you later in addition to some first hand training.

Hephaestus

And if you do wrong, you can blame that bloody piece of software. All is ok, if you know how to use it..

This text is quite interesting on composite design : https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a232422.pdf
Yeah I found a few of these yesterday. I'm going to wade through them one at a time.

Didn't realize how useful masters thesis's can be. Have 3 I found yesterday that appear to walk through the full design and load calculations of UAVs with xps foam cores and composite over.

One was the source of the Helius question as it was modeled there then the layup was calculated by hand to verify.

Yeah there's always the garbage in/out worry with FEA. But there's also the RAF ply schedules to reality check against (similar weight speed range and mission to the varieze) - there's some comfort to be had if it 'looks' right.

Ever thought about attending one of the EAA workshops on composites ? Might get some good contacts there that can answer questions for you later in addition to some first hand training.
Done the basic eaa ones, need to get down to the southern us for the better ones ;) hopefully the mooneys paperwork snafu is resolved this week after throwing a bunch more $ at the problem and my travels for these events can resume.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Pay attention to the types of foam that veteran designers of people carrying homebuilts use. The late Orion used to discuss some of these issues here. Nat Puffer of Cozy fame was an plastics engineer I believe so his material choices would be reliable

Hephaestus

Yeah, maybe that's one of my issues.

Unfortunately just on the fuselage, there's a cost differential of about 2000$ just in core material to switch from XPS to a ⅜" PU core. And means building a mold then a part... I'd rather the rutan method myself, I have space, but it gets limited quick when it starts getting full of large molds.

Hephaestus

I already told someone else I'd dig up which link it was (I must have downloaded 25?) once I actually see if it makes sense. Some of the ones that looked good at first are pure sh.. .. t.