Boeing warns of possible electrical issue in some 737 MAX airplanes

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
in the airline I work for, the A320 has suffered the following from being in storage, following the manufacturer's guidelines about blanking of inlets and so on; corroded main engine inlets, corroded thrust reverser panels, corroded pitot tubes, corroded brake units and even cracked avionics racks (from being towed around the airport to save ramp space for active aircraft) . All down to be sat idle for long periods and the blanks holding water in place. If you thought flying them cost money, sitting still is worse.

Mad MAC

in the airline I work for, the A320 has suffered the following from being in storage, following the manufacturer's guidelines about blanking of inlets and so on; corroded main engine inlets, corroded thrust reverser panels, corroded pitot tubes, corroded brake units and even cracked avionics racks (from being towed around the airport to save ramp space for active aircraft) . All down to be sat idle for long periods and the blanks holding water in place. If you thought flying them cost money, sitting still is worse.
They can't be too old then, otherwise one's got to add 6 months of issues once they return to service due to intermittent electrical faults, driven mainly by corrosion in the electrical connectors.

Last edited:

cblink.007

We deal with this on our test birds all the time, because they fly nowhere near as often as their fleet counterparts. As an example, one of our birds just spun up for the first time in more than 10 months last week after a lengthy modification & instrumentation period. Strangely enough, everything went great; proprotor track & balance was good, no leaks etc...even though it took two attempts to get both engines up and going. Aircraft now fully up, but we'll fly her a couple more times before we get her back doing airloads testing!

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Yep! One of my never forget it moments is showing up in Hartford CT late one Post Christmas Sunday night to move a DC-8 freighter that was parked the Friday before as a good Nor Easter was about to hit. Weather was still crummy. About a foot of ice and snow on the plane. Water pipes were frozen in spite of having heat on the plane. I could not get any of the check list items done including Battery Switch ON". Gave up after the third line and the mechanics went to work. I would have bet a hundred dollars that we would still be in Hartford on Wednesday.

Took a little over an hour and we were back in business. The "If it flew in it will fly out." theory is if you can keep them moving they will keep working with a little tender care.