Boeing following Mac Doug

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bill-Higdon

ToddK

The world does not understand how delicate a healthy culture is. The amount of self discipline, personal sacrifice, self awareness and forethought that goes into a healthy productive culture are all enormous and takes additional diligence to reinforce and maintain which is almost a job in itself. The most basic of human vices: arrogant pride, ego, sloth, and greed all work to undermine and poison a healthy culture. Once the rot sets in, saving it is very hard to fix.

Boeing will not be Boeing again till they replace nearly everyone at the top including the board. The problem is finding somebody to replace them with. The finance, marketing, and business graduates these days are nearly all useless as they have been taught a very toxic and wrong headed view of what a successful business looks like. Its not cars in the parking lot, with American workers making the best products they can make at a value driven price point. Its not solid finances with some money in the bank with modest but sustainable dividends for investors. Its all stock value and max dividends achieved by firing everyone and then selling the cheapest garbage the chicoms can make.

Last edited:

AeroER

Boeing was broken before it bought MDA. Starting with building airplanes without much idea of what that cost. Then real estate strung across the Puget Sound region, much of which was a cost, not investments with a return.

Buildings full of old equipment, tools, parts, and hardware stored for some forgotten reason that point to an illustrative problem, MBA's that don't bother with the BA part, and that is far from the only example.

Boeing had a reputation as a sorry engineering employer long before the buyout. The typical scenario at the end of the major engineering phase of a program was a layoff, while the program at another site could not fill seats. The layoff and subsequent departure of engineering staff at the end of the 777-300 program caused hiring problems for years.

BCA wants to engineer airliners with literally cook book analysis, and ignore features that don't fit the cookbook. I have first hand experience in that regard, and it's the reason I refused to sign drawings after the cookbook was filled out.

In any case, the current submission to the equality, inclusion, and diversity shakedowns has destroyed any pretension to ethics or morality; the corporation is shot through with the opposite.

Also, I'm convinced that new hires are screened for compliant personalities; the upshot of that is that they require hand holding at every step, are mostly poorly educated, and they simply can't think, analyze, solve problems, or invent design solutions.

Last edited:

AeroER

I can't print what I think.

There aren't enough electrons to write everything.

There is no knowing the facts outside financials and trivial information which is mostly propaganda from outside of these companies. With siloing of production programs and destruction of engineering departments, we didn't even have rosters of employees doing the same work in order to crosstalk problems and solutions.

It's best to simply adopt ZFG.

AeroER

I’ve heard it said that “MD bought Boeing using Boeing’s money.”

And that is simply not so. That comes from the idea that a few MDA execs were moved into high positions in the combined company, and they didn't arrive in a coup, they were appointed and bought. For that trope to hold water, those execs would have had a connection to MDA deeper than holding jobs, a degree of loyalty and promotion of real esprit de corps. They didn't, they were nothing more than hired guns with no particular loyalty to much more than selling stock at the next opportunity.

I have to say that my perspective on the John Cappelupo and Herb Lanese years has changed some. We knew they made conditions horrible after the A-12 debacle, but I don't believe we understood all of the reasons on top of the management induced misery.

Last edited:
Right now I'm reading "Flying Blind: The 737 MAX Tragedy and the Fall of Boeing," by Peter Robison. Some of the technical content about airplane fabrication is cringe. But he seems to have revealed the more important stories about how the Wall Streetification of Boeing has resulted in the concentration of wealth at the expense of safety. As industry nonfiction goes, this is right up there with "Comeback," by Paul Ingrassia.

Pale Bear

The world does not understand how delicate a healthy culture is. The amount of self discipline, personal sacrifice, self awareness and forethought that goes into a healthy productive culture are all enormous and takes additional diligence to reinforce and maintain which is almost a job in itself. The most basic of human vices: arrogant pride, ego, sloth, and greed all work to undermine and poison a healthy culture. Once the rot sets in, saving it is very hard to fix.

Boeing will not be Boeing again till they replace nearly everyone at the top including the board. The problem is finding somebody to replace them with. The finance, marketing, and business graduates these days are nearly all useless as they have been taught a very toxic and wrong headed view of what a successful business looks like. Its not cars in the parking lot, with American workers making the best products they can make at a value driven price point. Its not solid finances with some money in the bank with modest but sustainable dividends for investors. Its all stock value and max dividends achieved by firing everyone and then selling the cheapest garbage the chicoms can make.
Well constructed words, Todd .. IF only this just applied to Boeing, .. however, this is probably not the case. And to add to this, .. it appears as though we are more deeply loyal to the lowest priced anything, than ever. Never mind where is it was made, and possibly by slave labor, etc. .. as long as it's the cheapest, .. then we buy. If a whole society operates like this .. well, we will be lying in the bed, of our own making.

b7gwap

I have to hope that there are those within the machine trying to turn it from the iceberg…

I don’t disagree with any of the doom and gloom, but let’s remember what the Big B represents about American industry. If we don’t fix this..well.. it doesn’t bode well. -for the entire world.

You pull a linchpin from a structure and it won’t stay standing for long.

..and yet I wrote this on a phone likely made by slaves.. man what a depressing way to start the day. :(

And the board are who choose the leaders. The board is what should be replaced to a person... first. Then maybe things could change.

They'll be talking about "the Americans" like we talk about "the Greeks", "the Incas", and "the Romans".

Looking down the barrel of history is very depressing.
...one of the consequences of generations not willing to look at world history. All the series on the fall of empires/civilizations readily available on YouTube show pretty clearly where we are on that trajectory...