Boeing - Design Issues...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

trimtab

The question of motives really isn't as much of an issue as whether or not Boeing as a system can produce safe, profitable products, and whether they can do so better than the alternatives.

I don't believe that Boeing as a system can. I think it's time for consequences. That means arbitrage in the C-suites and in the factories (cutting, selling, and re-org). The experiments with B-schoolers running an engineering org have been concluded: the hypothesis was negated. Wrap it up and move on. The car is in the ditch, it's not going to buff out, and it's just a question of whether the car is worth more as a whole or sold off for parts.

Reactions: PMD

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Boeing may come to regret that, when/if Embraer starts building 200-250 seat airliners.

PMD

I put a lot of the blame on the Boeing situation on anti-trust regulators. Allowing mega-mergers removes the competitive forces from the productive side of business and invites the world of finance in to management. When you look at Airbus, Boeing, Embrauer, AVIC and maybe some day Tupolev - reality is that government/state sponsorship has become a significant part of big iron manufacturing. What the US HAD was a healthy level of competition to give the taxpayer some bang for their considerable pile of bux. Trust busters could have fixed that long ago, but since Wall Street literally owns government lock, stock and barrel these days, and it is finance that now literally runs not only the economy but also the government, here we are today.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
The word is that the 797 will be a single isle 787 with common certification.

That would allow full vertical integration from top to bottom for most airlines, requiring only one set of pilots, mechanics, and logistics. As well as allowing vastly easier route planning.

The 240 seat 787 can match a full 737 MAX with 204 seats. A single isle 797 would absolutely obliterate the 737 in performance.

That is almost certainly what Boeing is doing now that it’s cleaned house and reset the 797 project.

gtae07

I doubt Boeing will need another number beyond that. They’ll just keep rewarming the 787 and 797 on the same type certificates. Any truly new airframes will be developed by someone else and Boeing will just buy the design like Airbus did with the C-series.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I wonder how the name of the next design, the 7-10-7, will be pronouncd.

BJC
This might be a good time for them to make the jump: DC-12

Presumably they own the rights to the "Douglas" moniker, that could be the new name of the Boeing airliner division.

A clean sheet symbolizing new priorities, but with a storied past.

And Donald Douglas would look down from above and laugh himself silly.

Reactions: BJC

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
Wouldn’t surprise me if they did away with numbers completely. Like CRJ.

Maybe turn the Dreamliner into a series. The BDR series.