Bob Hoover

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bille Floyd

This is a Great story , about Bob Hoover's adventures , on how he
got much of his experience , learning to flying ; as told by Bob Hoover .

No real video here ; just grab a tall drink, and listen to the man :

Bille

Pops

Log Member
Thank you very much. The best pilot ever born. I had the honor of spending some time one on one talking to Bob Hoover for about an half an hour one time. Truly and very nice man in every way.
One time setting under his wing of the the Strike Commander as he was getting ready to do his flight at OSH. As he pulled out of the grass I noticed the marks in the grass from the wheels. As he can back from the flight with the engine shut down he parked in the same marks in the grass. Accident ?

Reactions: 103

Thank you very much. The best pilot ever born. I had the honor of spending some time one on one talking to Bob Hoover for about an half an hour one time. Truly and very nice man in every way.
One time setting under his wing of the the Strike Commander as he was getting ready to do his flight at OSH. As he pulled out of the grass I noticed the marks in the grass from the wheels. As he can back from the flight with the engine shut down he parked in the same marks in the grass. Accident ?
No accident!

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Hoover's announcer/ narrator said he was like that. He was precise. But when you hot start two engines at the top of a loop you better be.

Victor Bravo

Hoover's announcer (can't remember his !(#*$ name... Jimmy Driscoll???) was the only thing that took away from Bob's performances. During the dead-stick portions, he'd be yelling at the audience like a banshee, saying "Bob likes to call this maneuver 'Listen to the Silence'..." and then keep blasting his voice through the PA a mile a minute.

Even Pavarotti knows when a few second pause (from the world's greatest voice) makes a performance great... and Driscoll was no Pavarotti!

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
What a true gentleman, aviator and undoubtably one of the finest humans to walk the earth! When I read his book “forever flying“ I was obsessed by his skill, but even more his humanity ( I named my boarder collie after him).
The story of the “gas boy” putting jet A1 in his piston aircraft, which subsequently has to force land after take off, was IMHO the true test of what it is to be and expert in your field and the mark of a truly good human!
No spoilers for the book here! Read it, it is a must!
It would be remiss of me to not point out another true great aviator and good human hero of mine..... born of the same era and cut from very much the same cloth as Mr Hoover.
Eric “Winkle” Brown, a plucky Scott who’s book “ wings on my selves” is another must read! Also only relatively recently deceased, a true hero of aviation and a good human!
The world seems to be a hard place to easily find these kind of great humans now.....I’m sure they are there!
They will never blow their own trumpets, they will away shy from recognition... but they are there!

When you find one, hold them in great care for with out their spirit we are surely lost as humans.

Bit deep maybe, but hell Im 3 beers in and soaking in a bath! 😂