Quantcast

Boat Wing ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

My friend and I were looking at a 21 foot Cal , And that led to the conversation of boat propulsion via Grafted airplane wing instead of sail.

it occurs to me that I might hear some unusual insights on the idea here.

Keep in mind A sail boat needs to operate at the lower reaches of airflow Few willingly launch into winds over 25 mph.
It also needs to be able to sail as nearly into the wind as possible.
Any thoughts on configuration use of flaps leading edge cuffs . Best donor plane aluminum versus fabric etc.?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been done, though perhaps not with an actual airplane wing. You'd need a symmetrical airfoil unless you only want to sail on one tack.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Yup, but as a general rule the rigid sail wings are only for very specialized racers. A fabric sail has a large angle of attack range of unstalled "flight" and can be tweaked to add more or less camber and more or less area to suit conditions from a tiny breeze to a hurricane wind.

Pilot-34

I was wondering if there would be any point to flaps since you don’t need ailerons they could be full length laps

Riggerrob

I was wondering if there would be any point to flaps since you don’t need ailerons they could be full length laps
Yes,
Some of those specialized, rigid sail boats have double or triple-hinged flaps along the entire trailing edge. The most sophisticated divide trailing edges into two or three sections to adjust for differences in wind velocity as they get farther from the water.
The trailing Junkers flaps are more like trim tabs, in that they help fine tune relative angle of attack without imparting ridiculous torsion loads to the mast/hull junction.

Pilot-34

Back to the original idea. If you could just grab a wing out of the junkyard for a small sailboat (cal21) what do you think would be the best easiest choice.
Somehow Citabria comes to mind

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
If you are just trying to get away from expensive sails, Google Chinese lug rig or junk rig. Very simple, easy to make, and only slightly less efficient. Also, super easy to set and strike. That sort of takes it off topic though.....

Pilot-34

Well kinda it’s one of those “what if We were stranded” conversations that might actually happen if we can do it for $1.29 .

Dan Thomas

Back to the original idea. If you could just grab a wing out of the junkyard for a small sailboat (cal21) what do you think would be the best easiest choice.
Somehow Citabria comes to mind
Most wings are cambered, meaning that the wind coming from the "bottom" side of the wing generates lift, while the wind coming from the top generates little lift and a lot of drag. A sailboat wing needs to be symmetrical, and you finmd those mostly on aerobatic airplanes, and you don't find many aerobatic airplanes in junkyards.

Further, you'd need a cantilevered wing, not a strut-braced wing.