HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

narfi

Log Member
The happiest days of owning a boat:
-the first day when you buy it
-the last day when you sell it

Unknown sailor/boat owner
Maybe true for some, but I've had a very happy family this summer enjoying the canoe and power boat we built, both from plans.

20200824_070127.jpg

Same could be said for airplanes......
However when you enjoy building, you get the enjoyment of building, and when done you understand all the systems intimately and they are not the expensive fixes you would find on an old certified aircraft.

Bill-Higdon

Hello. After a couple of years of far too many doctor appointments, surgeries... radiation... and capped off this past July buy major spine/back surgery where I now have 4 rods and a bunch of aircraft worthy bolts and pins installed, first found myself thinking okay that's it, the projects that could mess up my back have to go... so I started looking at boat plans. Made sense... build a nice little tug for the nearby lake. After the surgery I immediately began radiation treatment to knock out the tumor that was on my spine causing all the problems in the first place. I set the boat plans aside and looked at the sport qualified plane I had been working on off and on... and thought... maybe a glider... or an ultralight like the Zing... Easy. But fear grasped me again when I thought back about that pain that nearly killed me... so i visited my surgeon ans asked what are my limitations... "the way and rate you have recovered I don't see any limitation for what you can do. Your back is stronger now more than it ever was. Bionic man kind of strong." This reassured me... I started up my guitar work again and am reviewing my lighter aircraft... ultralight? Motor glider? Boat? Thanks for reading.
Welcome back

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I always enjoyed sailing. Not enough water where I live. Sometimes I think about a small house boat on the Ohio river but to many locks to go anywhere without all the trouble. Remember in the 1940's and 50's there were lots of house boats on the Ohio and Kanawha river where people lived full time. Those days are long gone. Same for the sea plane bases and floating hangers that every town had on the river at that time. Also long gone.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My Dad was enamored with the Emeraude back in the day. I still have the raw spar material In my shop. IIRC, this design spawned/became the CAP 10 aerobat.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My Dad was enamored with the Emeraude back in the day. I still have the raw spar material In my shop. IIRC, this design spawned/became the CAP 10 aerobat.
Lots the same as in my Falconar F-12. Same cowl, firewall , dimensions of the fuselage, plans LG, etc.
Beautiful airplane. Everyone that I have seen was beautiful.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Yes the CAP in CAP-10 is Claude A Piel. The Emeraude is the CP-328 or something, for the same reason. The CAP is the full acro follow on to the Emeraude, but it loses a little bit of the panache in the process.

TFF

The only reason I don’t get that Emarude every time it’s mentioned is the travel cost to run 2/3s across the country. It’s got to be one of the most elegant homebuilt planes ever.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The only reason I don’t get that Emarude every time it’s mentioned is the travel cost to run 2/3s across the country. It’s got to be one of the most elegant homebuilt planes ever.
I'll buy you a burrito at one of our more... authentic ... Mexican food establishments near our airport, and I can even ask the local gang-bangers to keep us safe :)

Marc W

I'll buy you a burrito at one of our more... authentic ... Mexican food establishments near our airport, and I can even ask the local gang-bangers to keep us safe :)
There used to be one just below Osborne on the San Fernando Rd. on the wrong side of the tracks that I ate at a few times about 40 years ago. There weren't any gang bangers around back then. Looking at Google maps I see Casa Jalisco down there. I wonder if that is the same place?

Pilot-34

That sounds like you must be very well-connected locally

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
There used to be one just below Osborne on the San Fernando Rd. on the wrong side of the tracks that I ate at a few times about 40 years ago. There weren't any gang bangers around back then. Looking at Google maps I see Casa Jalisco down there. I wonder if that is the same place?
No, the ones you remember had somebody there who spoke English. No mas, Senor.

In all reality, I was running an elaborate con job on poor old TFF (to help that Emeraude get finished); the one really good place near the airport I liked (Papas n' Tacos) has closed down. There was a gourmet taco truck (that's 'roach coach' for those of us who remember rotary dial phones) that parked in an empty lot just around the corner form the airport, and they had the best fish tacos you've ever had. But they're gone now too.

There's one good place about two miles from the airport called Laura's, and they have really good ceviche. But they also have a terrifying new method of torturing people there, far far worse than the CIA's "MK Ultra" LSD experiments. It's capable of destroying brain cells and reducing its victims to blubbering morons. Something called "loud Mariachi Music".

Most of the so-called local joints have a rather cavalier attitude about sanitary food service, and to be honest there is quite a difference between what they consider "mild salsa" and what a plump airport Gringo thinks is "mild salsa". The last time I had eaten at one of those places I had to put the toilet paper in the freezer.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Pros and cons of boats vs planes:

BOATPLANE
Fun for the whole familyFun for the pilot, transportation for the family
You can park in the middle of the lake and relaxYou cannot park in the middle of the sky, and the pilot cannot relax
You can't go very far, just in circlesYou can go as far as your bladder will allow
If you get a hole in the bottom of the boat, you will sinkIf you get a hole in the bottom of the plane, you won't have to land for bathroom breaks