Quantcast

Boat, Plane. Plane, Boat.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rbrochey

Hello. After a couple of years of far too many doctor appointments, surgeries... radiation... and capped off this past July buy major spine/back surgery where I now have 4 rods and a bunch of aircraft worthy bolts and pins installed, first found myself thinking okay that's it, the projects that could mess up my back have to go... so I started looking at boat plans. Made sense... build a nice little tug for the nearby lake. After the surgery I immediately began radiation treatment to knock out the tumor that was on my spine causing all the problems in the first place. I set the boat plans aside and looked at the sport qualified plane I had been working on off and on... and thought... maybe a glider... or an ultralight like the Zing... Easy. But fear grasped me again when I thought back about that pain that nearly killed me... so i visited my surgeon ans asked what are my limitations... "the way and rate you have recovered I don't see any limitation for what you can do. Your back is stronger now more than it ever was. Bionic man kind of strong." This reassured me... I started up my guitar work again and am reviewing my lighter aircraft... ultralight? Motor glider? Boat? Thanks for reading.

BJC

HBA Supporter
far too many doctor appointments, surgeries... radiation..
BTDT, plus chemo, but throat rather than back. Super glad that you are OK.

I like boats and airplanes and lots of other stuff too. I could enjoy the journey down either path. If you select boats, please stick around here, too, for the conversations.

BJC

rv7charlie

Congrats on the good prognosis!
If you're talking about a power boat in any open water, the plane will probably be easier on your back than the boat. :)

Tiger Tim

Welcome back. I too keep flipping between plane and old car. Somehow old cars keep showing up so I’m largely rolling with that for now.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Have several friends with boats and just when I think it would be cool to have one I do a weekend trip to the lake to reset that notion. My buddies know what they are doing and even so, the whole process of, well, everything boating, is such a clu$terf@&k that it makes airplane ownership look like a carefree day at the park feeding ducks. The constant wiping down of every surface, taking on and off shoes, ice, fenders, ropes, and $500 worth of gas to get you 20 miles... No thanks!

Protech Racing

Also just done with 35 hits of radiation for throat cancer. First day today taking nutrition by mouth. Not as much fun as I hoped it would be. But having nothing to do for 5 months lead me back to airplanes.( I have a race car shop). I bought back the Cuyuna engine from My Gretchen tandem wing along with a sweet little Hirth 383 cc. That will go onto a modernized Desmoiselle style of UL.
My Flying boat drawing looks like an AV 10 .
Build something . Try and not die. Thats my plan .

I also kinda like the WIG flying boats. Registered as boats.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
All of you guys are a reminder that when I am feeling down about things in my life, I should remember instead how lucky I am. Thanks for that!

rbrochey, I think you should solve this dilemma by building a flying boat! A Volmer Sportsman meets LSA speeds but has an empty weight of 1,000 lb, gross weight of 1,500 lb. LSA allows a gross weight of 1,430 for a seaplane or amphib, all the other numbers check out. So build a Sportsman with a gross weight of 1,430 and reduce empty weight wherever you can...Oratax fabric, lighter wheels and tires, smaller fuel tank, etc. There's your boat and your airplane! ;-)

pwood66889

Thanks for thinking of us, rbochey. I always appreciate hearing from the Land of Enchantment.
I also grow older, but am going to talk about my"theropy" instead of what I have. It's shorter that way!
My EAA chapter and I are restoring my Ercoupe for a flying club. I call it my "weekly work out." Nothing like scrunching down in that `coupe to keep us geezers limber! Prudence dictates that I do not work on it alone, so someone will call if I have to be pried out!
Glad to hear from you!

Victor Bravo

Thank you.
BTW, one of the HBA guys based here at my home airport has a really nice Piel Emeraude project that is just looking for a someone who likes working with wood. Completed wing (nicely built) and just about all the wood for the fuselage. And it can be yours for a song.

Methinks it would be really cool if there was some kind of Renaissance Man/artisan... like a guitar craftsman or something... who would want to also use those artistic woodworking skills, to celebrate his new lease on life by flying around in a class act like an Emeraude, which is one of the finest touring and sport flying aircraft ever created.

I'm just sayin.... :cool:

gtae07

If I ever have a boat, it’ll be a little 2-3 person sailboat like my dad built. Go out to a local lake, sail around for a couple hours, just talking to your companions (or not, and just enjoying the quiet). An outing is still more work than one flight in the airplane, between towing to the lake, stepping the mast, rigging sails, etc. and then doing it all in reverse, but the overall upkeep is a lot less (and there’s no gas to buy) so it sort of balances out.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I enjoyed sailing when I was a youngster. Were I to own a boat today, it would be powered.

Plan B for retirement was an efficient cruising houseboat for traveling the rivers east of the Rockies. Had selected a design from Australia. Living Plan A now and loving it.

As others have said, enjoying the journey is more important than the destination.

BJC

rbrochey

BTW, one of the HBA guys based here at my home airport has a really nice Piel Emeraude project that is just looking for a someone who likes working with wood. Completed wing (nicely built) and just about all the wood for the fuselage. And it can be yours for a song.

Methinks it would be really cool if there was some kind of Renaissance Man/artisan... like a guitar craftsman or something... who would want to also use those artistic woodworking skills, to celebrate his new lease on life by flying around in a class act like an Emeraude, which is one of the finest touring and sport flying aircraft ever created.

9 ppl