BMW redrives

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

fusionfab

Hey everyone,
im finally buckling down my BMW 1150cc engine build and am ready to start fitting a redrive.
I am just looking to find out people's experiences with different setups. Also if you can share with me the companies you know who manufacture them.
Im aware of rotax C setup and airtrikes but are there any more out there I can look into?
Im also not opposed to fabricating one if anyone has good plans and ideas.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Riggerrob

Count me as curious too.
Is there a BMW redrive that turns the prop clockwise (as viewed from the rear)?

Aerowerx

Don't recall the name, but there is a German company that sells them.

Also Hugh Lorimer used a BMW on one of his planes with a stock transmission locked in (IIRC) 2nd gear.

I also understand you need a clutch because they don't like starting with a load.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The German company is Take-Off Gmbh. Rumor is that they don't want to do business with US customers, and I know they did not answer my email. Maybe as a Canadian you'll have better luck.
Vasilli at AirTrikes has a good reputation.
Kuba Mysluk used to post here occasionally, he has been involved with conversions of many BMWs for aircraft use and apparently knows the ropes. I >think< he was associated with the Polish company Aerotech-Poland, but it isn't clear if there's much activity there, the web site seems fairly static..

You''ll find other leads by searching this forum. There are others who post here who are doing conversions of BMW boxers, there's no use re-inventing their work.

Good luck

Last edited:

fusionfab

I didn't know that about Take-Off. Ive been talking to Vasili a little about theirs and I see their products on all sorts of planes. Just was hoping to have more options available for comparison. I found this other one called subaruair located in China and their response was pretty demeaning telling me to read the info on their site. Which consists of three bullet points, less than 10 words (when translated to english) and no pricing.

My goal with the conversion is to retire the Subaru EA81 so I can add more payload to the plane. It's an Avid MK4 that's on the fat side.

I'm estimating that if I can successfully convert I'll shave off about 40-45 lbs in the nose and the useless weight added to the tail.

Armilite

Hey everyone,
im finally buckling down my BMW 1150cc engine build and am ready to start fitting a redrive.
I am just looking to find out people's experiences with different setups. Also if you can share with me the companies you know who manufacture them.
Im aware of rotax C setup and airtrikes but are there any more out there I can look into?
Im also not opposed to fabricating one if anyone has good plans and ideas.
Thanks for your help everyone.
===============================================================

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these BMW 1150cc used at 100hp? I don't know at what Rpms they make that 100 HP! While BMW makes good Bikes, there isn't that many people using these BMW Engines in the World. If, you have Mechanical Problems, brake down enroute are you going to be able to get Parts for it? Rotax, Hirth, AirTrikes make the Gear Drives to handle 100hp. There is a guy who makes a nice looking Gear Drive for GEO SUZUKI Engines, that might have an Adapter Plate.

Hirth and Simonini make 100hp Engines and Rotax Rick makes a 92-94hp Rotax 670.

These Snow Glider were built for an Antartic Expedition with these BMW Engines and were found to not hold up in Testing and so were changed out to Rotax 912 100hp Engines.

Attachments

josephdfco

Hey, I've got a BMW S-62 engine that I never got a chance to install. Let's find out how fast that can climb!