BMW R1150

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

turbolium

Hi,

seems like a while since someone has talked about these engines, any particular reason?

Ive only read good things about them so I was planning on retro fitting my Challenger II with a R1150.

Ive actually bought a R1150 R with 25 000 miles and having it disassembled and the engine shipped to me. its a single spark , but they used to add a plug to the old R100 so I'm sure its do-able if need be.

since I have the entire bike to take parts from I was hoping someone could help me create a full inventory of parts I will need. I plan to use the original CDI unless theres a better option. Is there any part of the exhaust I need, how about the air box, wire harness ?

since I don't have access to the bike I was hopping to crate everything up and have it shipped one time one cost. I live inn Canada and the bike is in the states so after the beating on the cnd dollar and the vultures at Canada customs its probably going to wind up costing me around $1300 cnd. not bad for a fairly new engine.

Any whoo my name is Will and I'm attempting to fit this engine in my Challenger II and have her ready to go for spring.

Thanks in advance for all your help and I'm glad to be part of your community..

Wayne

Log Member
Welcome Will! I'm no expert so can't help directly but wanted to say hi! As well as hanging out here you might try any Challenger specific forums as well!

pictsidhe

Keeping the EFI would be a good idea? That means just about all the wiring. Probably safest to grab everything. Do you want to reuse airbox and exhaust, or make new ones? Airbox is light... you can always fleabay left overs. Buy a Haynes manual and read it all to get an idea.

Cy V

I've occasionally wondered why the BMW conversions aren't more popular. I hear they are great engines!

turbolium

Maybe because BMW dont want there engines in airplanes?? just look at the electronics on a 1200 GS and the way they incorporate all functions into 3 on board computers. very difficult to convert because everything from engine mapping to turn signals feeds off these three units.

Than call Rotax and tell them you want to buy a C drive to convert for a BMW engine and see what they tell you...

Some grim days ahead for guys who just want to go flying... my 2c

Riggerrob

BMW motorcycles are rare and expensive in Canada.
For a PSRU, go ask the powered trike people.

TFF

BMWs are pretty high end bikes. Old one hold value almost as good as new ones. I would think flipping the bike would net more money if you are only in $1300. You should get about $5000 for one or more unless you are buying a wreck. I believe the conversions in other parts if the world keep the clutch installed.

turbolium

I guess theres lots of possibilities, scenarios.
Anyway I hope to have the engine here for the w.e I've ordered the Haynes and I'm pretty sure to have found a new C box so things are looking up :)
first thing will be to pull the plugs and go in with a scope, have a little look-see.

fusionfab

Hey Will,
How is the project coming along with this engine setup? I too have been building piece by piece an 1150 engine with dual ignition and EFI. I am interested to hear of your progress with everything.
Merry Christmas
Matt

rotax618

I believe the power pulses from the flat twin are a bit too much at low revs for the Rotax gearbox, all of the successful BMW conversions use a centrifugal clutch. The guy at airtrikes.net sells a conversion including a much stronger gearbox.

RockyPilot

If there is any updated information about the BMW Conversion I would love to hear it. I am planning on using two of these engines on an Air Cam. I know little about them other than what I have read so far in on this site.

Aerowerx

Hugh Lorimer, who used to be on here, used a BMW in one of his designs.

Last I heard he was having health problems and hasn't been on here in ages. His web site is still up, though.

From his website:
The propeller is designed to use torque, which is plentiful with the BMW engine. This reliable motor runs at under 3000rpm when the aircraft is at cruise velocity.
Someplace I saw some info on his BMW conversion. It might have been here on HBA. All I remember is that he used a BMW gear box, locked in 2nd gear IIRC, as a PSRU.

The BMW engines are more popular, and more plentiful, in Europe than here, for aircraft conversion.