Blueprints for P-40 Warhawk

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

billyvray

this one? nice
This vid won't embed- copy to browser: (www.youtube.com/watch?v=j92-ZnjbbP4)

Its been done, Matt. Years ago at Cranfield or Sywell, a French-built C.714 (near replica) powered by a 500 hp ex-Dassault Flamant (Renault?) inverted V-12 was the absolute star of the show for me. I have many good photographs of this somewhere which I'll try to find. It must also be on YouTube.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Just because we're taking about a Caudron and then I promise to stop hijacking this thread.... ;-) Wouldn't it be cool to have a taildragger cabin monoplane styled like a Caudron Simoun complete with a civilized door for entry and exit? Maybe a taller but narrower tandem two-seater with fold-away seat backs....

1657645934604.png 1657645780419.png 1657645744382.png

ScaleBirdsScott

I think if anyone's going to do a full-scale anything getting an original engine, or a near-peer equivalent, is probably a requisite part of it. Sure, there may be some weight savings to be had overall, and the ability to get good performance while down a few ponies on the output as a result, but I gotta think it hard to do a P40 at 1:1 without something close to an Allison on the nose. Unless one really is doing a construction method considerably lighter than the original fighters had.

Then again, maybe a 1000hp electric drivetrain and the balance of weight in battery packs would be cheaper going forward. Wouldn't sound right, but, might get the endurance for a few airshow passes at full output.

ZacYates

I also was thinking more along the lines of, if one isn't aiming to do an exact, to-spec new production type build, there might be ways to do a full-size replica that sticks to the overall plans and panels, but may be able to use a small amount of engineering to omit structures for systems that are not relevant to a civilian version of the aircraft that isn't encumbered with guns and bombs and a massive radio and armor and the like.
That's what I was thinking - almost a Cavalier P-40! Or a design based on the Jurca MJ-100 with steel-tube fuse.
I gotta think it hard to do a P40 at 1:1 without something close to an Allison on the nose
I can't imagine not having an Allison, but that's the P-40 fanboy in me talking!

Hawk81A

Consider the COST of an Allison. I recently saw overhaul costs that ranged from 100K to 175K. Then you're going to have to have the right propeller. Now the weight >1200 lbs JUST THE ENGINE. And the gallon per minute fuel consumption. For those with money and technological / engineering to make this big of a replica, I think an LS conversion or something similar will be more of an answer.
Don't get me wrong, I love Allisons and the planes they powered. Dennis

Edit: Just to note. There are currently a few "complete" Allison V-1710s on ebay. While prices seem to range from around 20K to one for 37K that says "0 hours on fresh rebuild". I wouldn't consider any of them "ready to fly". FWIW, consider just the cost of a set of exhaust stacks. D.

Last edited:

ZacYates

Excellent shots Brandon! great reference for any fellow scale modellers, too.

Tiger Tim

Consider the COST of an Allison… For those with money and technological / engineering to make this big of a replica, I think an LS conversion or something similar will be more of an answer.
…or you could just bite the bullet and be the degenerate monster who puts a run-out Eastern Bloc turboprop on a P-40 replica.

Tiger Tim