Blueprints for P-40 Warhawk

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

WARPilot

Supporting Member
How much did they cost? Does the source have more?
No other plans that I know of. They were from a guy in Australia that was designing per WAR construction methods. I have tried several times over years to get a hold of the plans. Then one day I met a person who said he had bought them in 2000. They are pristine. Not for sale. Our EAA chapter is trying to decide if we want to build. We would make modifications such as we would likely make molds for the fuselage and wings( to reproduce).

Deuelly

If you want the original manufacturing plans for the P-40, and other aircraft, join https://aircorpslibrary.com/ for $5.00 per month, and you can download them.

I think that's a little misleading. There print feature is essentially just a screen shot and doesn't work good for detailed prints like ordinates. You can get high res prints but it will cost you.

Brandon

norm_parm

First, you have to be a member to see the prints in detail. I downloaded the Howard prints some years back, and they very detail and clear.

Deuelly

First, you have to be a member to see the prints in detail. I downloaded the Howard prints some years back, and they very detail and clear.

I am a member. In fact my shop provided the P-40 prints and others to Aircorp to scan. The free print ones are nowhere near the quality of the originals that I have.

This is what you see when you try to download just one print. All I'm saying is you can't download all the prints for $5 a month.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191123-140024_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191123-140024_Chrome.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 25

ScaleBirdsScott

If you actually try to print off a big set of prints using their services, I get a feeling you'd quickly go well past the cost of getting such prints through other means. Great resource to check some things out and maybe print one or two specific things. (For me looking for how the real one did it when making a replica, it's quite invaluable) But if you were actually looking for building an entire aircraft I don't think it's meant for that. (At a minimum you'd want to negotiate with them a package price instead of piecemeal)

Saville

Great resource to check some things out and maybe print one or two specific things.

I agree. I found detailed drawings with measurements for the P-51D Throttle Quadrant. I wanted to make one for my RV-8, I got detailed and clear .png files which were all I needed.

But for a whole airplane, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to go to some source like NASM or maybe they are free for printing costs from some government agency.

WARPilot

Supporting Member
Anyone in the DFW area who is interested in the P-40 build should get I. Touch with EAA Ch 34. They have several WAR projects and a set of p-40 plans. They need builders to crest a plug for the p-40 then build a mold. This will save a lot of weight on a WAR design.

ZacYates

I've been a lifelong P-40 fan and am very curious about the concept of a full-scale replica, and been amazed that there doesn't seem to be an example that has flown. Would it be practical to upscale the MJ-12 plans for a 1/1 P-40E?

Years ago I was at a local air show and froze in my tracks when going by a hanger! A P-40 fuselage on a stand. Looks funny. It was old skins from a restoration project that were put together. Come to find out some hot rod car guys who make fiberglass bodied tried to make a replica in fg, and that was the mold. I don’t think it went much farther.
Does this look familiar?

TFF

I don’t know if the mould is still at the airport. I was on the airport two weeks ago for an airshow, but I couldn’t get to that side. I didn’t want to jump the fence and walk between the F22s and F35s that were parked there. That would have been a bad decision.

wktaylor

Texans have serious egos and short memories. My wife, a native Texan, remembers the real/backward Texas starting from the 1950s.

Without the influence of the greater USA leading/dragging Texas 'forward', from a dirt-poor-backward/rural state of the early 1900s... it would have devolved into a tragic third-world country.

I suppose it was a fortunate 'thing' that Texas is crude-oil-rich.

Last edited:

wktaylor

Back-to the scale P-40s. I wonder if there have been 3D-scans of full scale P-40s [museums or private Acft], available in CAD files. The MLG were an especially complex design, by the way it folded/stowed.

ZacYates

I was speaking with a friend recently whose chief concern about a P-40 replica was the gear mounting itself - here in NZ we're lucky to have a mini P-40 industry producing and restoring parts so the legs etc aren't a issue, but the question of mounting the gear to a wooden frame safely is one he's anxious to find a solution to.

Does the Jurca MJ-12 have the Curtiss-style retracts? Does anyone have plans for one going spare?

Deuelly

I was speaking with a friend recently whose chief concern about a P-40 replica was the gear mounting itself - here in NZ we're lucky to have a mini P-40 industry producing and restoring parts so the legs etc aren't a issue, but the question of mounting the gear to a wooden frame safely is one he's anxious to find a solution to.

Does the Jurca MJ-12 have the Curtiss-style retracts? Does anyone have plans for one going spare?
The way the P-40 gear attaches to the wing, it would be pretty easy to do something similar on a scale wood wing. You'd need a stub spar behind the main spar, but you would want that anyway to reinforce the wheel pocket area.

Brandon

ScaleBirdsScott

There's a group that's been posting progress on Facebook (that I think is US-based) that has been meticulously 3D modelling the P-40, using the drawings as source, and gearing up a shop to have all the tools needed to produce the bulk of those parts. From what pictures I have seen they have the landing gear worked out as well as most of the rest of it.

From my end, making fairly authentic scaled-down looks-like versions of the landing gear isn't that bad. A little bit of tricky machining here and there but for the most part nothing all that wild. Of course if you want full-scale then I'd think just getting a set from one of the restoration shops is the way to go.

Of course in my opinion if you're gonna build full scale then built it more-or-less just like the original, and plan to use as many original-type parts as possible since the market exists to some degree for all that. Maybe simplify the design a little by omitting parts or systems not needed in modern times, or that it doesn't need armor or guns, but other than that...

Deuelly

Our shop is one of the few in the world that has reproduced almost every single part of the P-40. About the only things we haven't done are the gear legs. We have quite a few original sets. We also haven't done any engine stuff. The engines are pretty easy to find yet.

If I were to do a full scale warbird true to plans, the last one I would do would be a P-40. The wing alone is one of the most complex, parts saturated wings produced during WWII. The P-51 is far simpler.

On the other hand, I've always thought a full scale composite P-40 would be cool. Maybe I can convince the owner to let me pull molds off the next set of wings and fuselage we build.😄

Brandon