Blueprints for P-40 Warhawk

Discussion in 'Warbirds / Warbird Replicas' started by Jwhallon, Dec 13, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 28, 2019 #21

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

Remember, too, you will want to change the airfoil for something more appropriate for the speeds and load intended, as well.

2. Mar 28, 2019 #22

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I'm currently doing exactly that on my project. See my thread here

3. Mar 29, 2019 #23

Dana LaBounty

Dana LaBounty

Dana LaBounty

Hey all, new here but hope I can contribute and maybe get some help. I have the Jurca 3/4 scale P-40 plans already, BUT,
    I'm thinking about having Jim Stewart (Stewart S-51) do the engineering for a all aluminum fuselage. I would also have the rest of it looked at as the project progresses. As for trying to scale, draw and build from the original factory drawings, the parts count would be daunting. I put a fair amount of research into options and the Jurca plans seemed to be the only viable way to build a scale P-40 with any real performance more than say the Loehle.

wiloows5050 likes this.
  4. Mar 29, 2019 #24

TFF

TFF

TFF

Years ago I was at a local air show and froze in my tracks when going by a hanger! A P-40 fuselage on a stand. Looks funny. It was old skins from a restoration project that were put together. Come to find out some hot rod car guys who make fiberglass bodied tried to make a replica in fg, and that was the mold. I don’t think it went much farther. Especially if it was chopper gun glass. I’m constantly looking for the P-40 owned by Fed Ex. Came with buying the old Flying Tigers company. It had been on display in various museums but not now. All I can think is it’s sitting in the CEOs office. It has to be around here somewhere.

5. Mar 29, 2019 #25

Deuelly

Deuelly

Deuelly

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p40registry/p40-ak979.html

6. Mar 29, 2019 #26

Alan_VA

Alan_VA

Alan_VA

I would be concerned about appropriate structural calcs and testing. Is the builder familiar with that end of airplane design, because that is really what he is proposing.

Alan

7. Mar 29, 2019 #27

TFF

TFF

TFF

Interesting. For a while it was not on display at Pearl. It’s in there with the jets so makes me wonder

8. Mar 29, 2019 #28

don january

don january

don january

I often thought how easy it would be to take the Taylor mono and with some creative building make it look just like a P-40 or even a spitfire

9. Apr 1, 2019 #29

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

Dana, does the jurca P40 only have the wood fuselage like the ME109. I wonder if you could adapt the (MJ77) P51 metal fuselage to the P40.

10. Apr 1, 2019 #30

lr27

lr27

lr27

Not necessarily. According to the Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage, the root was NACA 2215 and the tip was 2209. These aren't sophisticated high speed airfoils or anything. It might be necessary to add a bit of wing twist or other dodge, since according to Profili the 2209 has a lower max CL at the lower Reynolds number the tip has to operate at. (I used 1,000,000 and 650,000, but a heavier or larger replica might have higher numbers.) According to the Incomplete Guide, the WAR replica used the 23015 and 23012. Something different might be advisable to lower stall speed somewhat for a Part 103 legal replica.

J.L. Frusha likes this.
  11. Apr 3, 2019 #31

Dana LaBounty

Dana LaBounty

Dana LaBounty

Yes, the MJ77 structure drawings could be used for the engineering and just alter the mounting points for wing and tail wheel, ect. Here's where I diverge with typical thought. I have to go to the bother of making a metal skin, it's going to be a stressed skin structure and not have the extra fixturing, labor and all of the steel tube structure. That and I've not found anyone that has the drawings.

12. Apr 3, 2019 #32

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Dana, I have a set of MJ77 plans for sale with the tubing frame option if you are interested. PM me if you are interested.

13. Apr 27, 2019 #33

Dana LaBounty

Dana LaBounty

Dana LaBounty

Tried sending a message through the forum. E-mail me direct at darmah@ftc-i.net
    Thanks,
    D.L.

14. Apr 27, 2019 #34

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I have a thread about airfoils for my 103 Hurricane. After reading a very interesting paper and getting lots of advice from people who han't read it, I decided I should be safe if I compared the relative Clmax at the root and 70% span stations and aim for a similar relationship at my Re. I'm glad I did, the 70% station lost much more lift than the root did with the original airfoils and could have made stalls a little bit too interesting. I managed to increase the 70% Clmax somewhat, then cut down the root Clmax a bit to get a slightly higher Clmax at 70% than the root. That should give a bit more margin than full size. It's a 103, so a docile stall seems important. That was for my planform, another planform may need a different relationship. 22 series didn't work for my thicker foils. Maybe it would when thinned. 22xx were on many WWII aircraft. the Spitfire and Typhoon come to mind

If you are scaling a warbird, I'd highly recommend reading the paper I linked to, then seeing how the airfoils work at scale and full size. The paper showed minimal benefit for twisting a 4 digit 0.5 taper ratio wing, like a P-40...

I read somewhere that the P-40 had the same wing as the P-36. But was a completely different animal to stall. Apparently, it was the wing root fairings that made the difference.

15. Apr 27, 2019 #35

Dana LaBounty

Dana LaBounty

Dana LaBounty

I'm not scaling for my P-40 project, Marcel Jurca plans. Notes in the drawings mention a Beechcraft airfoil. Which one, I don't know yet but I'm sure it'll work for the design weight. His other designs all fly O.K.

16. Apr 27, 2019 #36

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I found your link to the NACA report. I would really like to see the one you are talking about, if this is not it.

NACA report -

Measurements Of The Flying Qualities Of A Hawker Hurricane Airplane

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930092603.pdf

17. Apr 27, 2019 #37

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

J.L. Frusha likes this.
  18. Apr 27, 2019 #38

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

J.L. Frusha

Thank you.

I was unaware there were many low-wing aircraft without dihedral.

Of course, applying both the techniques in the paper and dihedral would greatly help.