Blueprints for P-40 Warhawk

Discussion in 'Warbirds / Warbird Replicas' started by Jwhallon, Dec 13, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 13, 2018 #1

Jwhallon

Jwhallon

Jwhallon

Hello,

I'm thinking of designing a scale replica for the P40 Warhawk and I'm trying to locate reliable, readable blueprints. So far I've found (p40warhawk.com) which has some free prints though most are unreadable. Plans.aero has blueprints for sale but I have never used their services. I want to be sure before I pay out $120 that I can really transpose accurate scale parts from this. Really appreciate any advice on finding reliable prints. Thank you!

2. Dec 14, 2018 #2

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

Join up at AirCorps Library. Close to 6000 of the production drawing are available online.

3. Dec 14, 2018 #3

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

A scale replica does not need to be exact, just convincing. I would think that a Paul Matt drawing would be enough.

pictsidhe likes this.
  4. Dec 14, 2018 #4

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Matthew is absolutely right. Trying to build an exact 3/4 or whatever scale plane is a lot harder than making a P-40 shaped E-AB. Or, in my case, a Hawker Hurricane shaped 103.
    I only have one direct link, but you may find interesting what I am using.
    The best 'plans' I have are 1:24 drawings by Arthur Bentley. Unfortunately for you, he hasn't done the P-40. He threw in a few dozen actual production drawings, but they aren't as useful as you'd expect for a scale model.
    Before I got those, I picked up a set of 'scale plans No 55' by MMP. They are actually very good 1:24 while only costing me $12. They are my travel plans as they fold into a booklet.
    I also have a have bootleg 'Haynes Manual', full of photos. and a SAM publications modellers datafile. I even just bought a hardcopy Haynes, something I wouldn't have done without seeing it first.

I've just arranged a hands-on session with a Hurricat for some details that I haven't found anywhere.

There's also quite a few drawings of many planes on airwar.ru

The P-40 is a good choice to scale down, the cockpit is in about the right place, unlike many warbirds. If I were American rather than British, I'd probably be doing one instead of my Hurricane.

5. Dec 14, 2018 #5

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Didn't ScaleBirdsScott have something like this already in the works for a Warhawk?

Kudos once again to Matthew for being the fine gentleman he is, this time for having the good taste to mention the Paul Matt drawings! But as mentioned already, if the OP is willing to accept a stand-off scale aircraft instead of a 100% perfect replica, even the classic .60 size Top Flite R/C plans would probably do.

IMHO the P-40 is one of those airplanes that is so perfectly proportioned that even a 1/2 or 2/3 scale aircraft would fly really well without screwing up the outlines. A Geo-Raven or Walter Mikron would fit into a scale cowling rather well, even with a sub-scale replica.

Just whatever you do, for the love of God please use the larger rounded rear side windows of the D and E models, not the early triangular ones or the later square rear canopy.

6. Dec 14, 2018 #6

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

FWIW, I have always liked the slick-nosed Merlin-engined P-40F and P-40L models as used by U.S. and Commonwealth forces in North Africa.

Curtiss-P-40F-Warhawk-79FG-X01-Bates-North-Africa-1943-02.jpg 3_85.jpg IMG_5381-1.jpg

Battler Britton likes this.
  7. Dec 14, 2018 #7

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

Yeah we're doing approx 60% scale of the 'Hawk series in aluminum. The current design is not perfect replica, but pretty decent and it'll be undergoing refinements to get the fuselage shape dialed in on the next go around when we do an E-model.

A larger size would be neat. That might happen eventually one way or another; but there's the 2-seat Hellcat parts to use first I think.

I would second AirCorps Library for just being a good starting point. I was able to get a lot of good information from that service.

For a proper P-40 I agree, but on the P36 I actually quite like the, as I call them, "arrowhead" rear windows.

8. Dec 14, 2018 #8

lr27

lr27

lr27

It might be educational to get a high quality plastic model.

Lots of photos and drawings of various aircraft here:
    http://www.airdoc.biz/
    Presumably includes stuff for P-40. I got some pretty nice drawings from that outfit once, but it was many years ago.

You'll also find a bunch of P-40 pics at:
    airliners.net
    Just pictures, though.

I would also check Solid Model Memories, which has lots of nice drawings.

Some of the links are busted in the following thread, but maybe you could get the original poster to replace them:
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2006048-Curtiss-P-40-Factory-Drawings

Personally, I think you should just scale up Earl Stahl's P-40. At least then you know it will look good, though I admit that's a LOT of balsa. ;-)
    https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1232
    002.jpg
    I suppose you'd really have to gear down the motor to spin that prop, though.

9. Dec 14, 2018 #9

Jwhallon

Jwhallon

Jwhallon

Awesome advice! I'm going through all the resources you guys listed.

I'm getting some inspiration for the guys over at Titan. The way the T-51 is constructed using tubular steel frame makes a lot of sense to me.

10. Dec 15, 2018 #10

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

You might contact Bill Koleno. He is (or was) building a 3/4 scale P-40. Using the base T-51 as the starting point. But the wings are elliptical, a big difference.

The T-51 frame is way overbuilt, like a brick outhouse.

11. Dec 15, 2018 #11

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Huh?

12. Dec 16, 2018 #12

lr27

lr27

lr27

I guess that would make it a Spithawk?

BoKu likes this.
  13. Dec 16, 2018 #13

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

14. Dec 18, 2018 #14

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

wiloows5050

Jurca did one in 3/4, not sure if one ever flew.

15. Dec 18, 2018 #15

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Battler Britton and mcrae0104 like this.
  16. Mar 27, 2019 #16

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Somewhere I saw a comment saying that the NASM has a full set of P-40 drawings and that they will make copies. Another set of plans that may be worth perusing are the Sindlinger Hurricane ones. That's 5/8 scale and wood.

17. Mar 27, 2019 #17

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

NASM should be your last resort, as they have severely clamped down on usage rights for the drawings they hold.

18. Mar 28, 2019 #18

vhhjr

vhhjr

vhhjr

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

One possibility is to start with a set of giant scale RC plans like Bally did with his B-17. I started such a project many years ago, but never got past the mock-up stage. I must say that it was fun doing event that. It was a 75% P-39 in wood.

P-39 Center Section.jpg P-39 Mock-up.jpg

19. Mar 28, 2019 #19

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

If you intend to design an externally scaled replica, a decent set of 3-Views should be all you need. If you intend to build a P-40 with scaled original design components, you are starting on a very time and labor intensive effort, not to mention the costs of castings and machined parts.

BJC

20. Mar 28, 2019 #20

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

C'mon, vhhjr, no pictures of you sitting in the cockpit mockup? ;-)

The P-40 has such a distinctive look that even a rough approximation is very recognizable. What about tracking down drawings for the Loehle P-40?

1124524-large.jpg Loehle P-40 - Sport Pilot - Dec 2016 - p62.jpg 1412339.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019