• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Blown flaps with electric motors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saini flyer

I am fascinated by the small wings of F-104's and understand that a blown wing/flap brings much complexity/maintenance and issues that most have abandoned the concept but then I also look at DO-29 here and see that even a prop can be used to achieve the same but it too has a lot of complexity with slotted fowler flaps and what not and is not ideal for a homebuild with an ICE.

The discussion on Clmax on another thread here: made me look for the Cl added by blown flaps and according to wikipedia, "In general, blown flaps can improve the lift of a wing by two to three times. Whereas a complex triple-slotted flap system on a Boeing 747 delivers a coefficient of lift of about 2.8, external blowing improves this to about 7, and internal blowing to 9."

What happens if you use an electric motor mounted on the rear spar of each of the wings and use a CV joint mounted propeller shaft that moves along with the flap and has a propeller at the end like the DO-29 but avoiding all the complexity as in the sketch below.
High wing with blown flaps.jpg
  1. The biggest issue with the blown flap is it's need when engine quits but using a brushless motor like Emrax should ease that.
  2. The electric propulsion can be used only for TO&L and then the prop can fold.
  3. If the lift increase is indeed 2-3 times the wing span will go down tremendously
  4. The tractor ICE can be substituted with a continuous HP industrial motor= inexpensive
  5. Redundancy in case of engine out
  6. Minimal complexity added
  7. Less effect of turbulence
  8. Almost avoids the TO&L engine out/density altitude accident!
  9. Quite electric propulsion for low noise during TO&L
  10. Uses well developed proven off the shelf existing technology
  11. No complicated load path, specially on the flaps and flap mechanism. A simple A arm hidden inside the flap can help secure the prop shaft
There are other very good points that I can keep going on and on about the more I think like using many smaller electric RC motors for redundancy etc but why has this not been considered yet for a very good STOL performance and high speed cruise. What am I missing?

Also any clue as to how much of lift can be achieved using the prop blowing the flap/wing Vs the Boeing example?

Any help with the details is appreciated.

Back