• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

birch vs. okume

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterson

I am wanting to start construction on a Falconar F12 once the weather improves. This design is based on the French Jodel aircraft. The original Jodels used okume plywood but the Falconar plans call for birch. Birch was chosen only because of availability in North America and its lower cost, and okume can be substituted if the builder chooses.

I used to love birch as a speaker builder because of its high strength, low weight, and good acoustical properties. I have no knowledge of okume; I never heard of it until I looked into building airplanes. It is often compared to mahogany which I always thought was a touch on the heavy side of woods. How do the two compare in strength, weight, price, workability, etc.?

Back