• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Biplanes: Replacing streamlined wires with stranded cables

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianlaw121212

I'm just about done building the airframe for a Wolf Boredom Fighter.

My next job is to assemble the completed parts and trial rig the wings. (There are a few photos in my "new members" post.)

The drawings specify streamlined wires, which are now likely to be way beyond my original budget, which has already shrunk a bit.(This is hearsay; I haven't had a quote so far.)

I would obviously prefer the streamlined version, for performance and appearance but am likely to have to use stranded cables - at least until I can afford the ideal.

Can anyone advise me how to calculate a minimum cable size and type? (My maths = very basic and memories of triangles and parallelograms of force etc. now beyond rusty.)

Looks like 1X19 in 5/32" might be suitable in either galvanised or stainless ( Aircraft Spruce ).

(Boredom Fighter basic details:
Airfoil NACA 4412, Span 20 feet, Chord 2 1/2 feet
Empty weight 473lbs, normal gross 730 lbs, Max gross 770 lbs,
Cruise 100mph ( but not with unstreamlined cables)vne 135mph stall (glide) 42 mph
Ultimate g load +9.1 -7.1
Pairs of single flying and landing wires (Both wings = 4 lift and 4 landing )
[Photo of a nice example I would like to emulate showing general layout:
.watermarked_9d97af618ceb8d3e287a3ad4234f7de3.jpg

Thanks for reading this far and look forward to some wise advice ( except for "cough up and buy some streamlined wires you old skinflint! )

Ian Law

Back