• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Bing 54 Carb - Small Fuel Inlet Fitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaudeR

Supporting Member
Hi, all:

I recently purchased an older US Light Aircraft Hornet airplane that has a Hirth 2706 and Bing 54 carbs. It has sat awhile, so I'm going through it and upgrading/replacing stuff. One thing I noticed is that where the fuel line connects to the Bing 54 carbs, the inlet barb is too small for 1/4" ID fuel line. When I removed the fuel line from the carb, I at first thought that the inner portion of the fuel line had peeled away and remained attached to the fuel inlet fitting. But, I discovered later that instead a small piece of smaller tubing had been previously installed and then the 1/4" ID fuel line attached over that. Here's a picture of the small piece of tubing left on the fitting after the main fuel line had been removed.

jrkswkKNQN7ST327Z9Cnx2JTqRSaS1-ND-6ipgW0fJvzAmBkyI_Ox3VafLb7om5DbC_DCShKBGyP1sOeNg_93k4Hd3xP3YupC1Z06PD2shjVI-5qtCfrsFejYQM0oB6s1G3G3PKTm8ZvlFkHzwZA0ILMcpk8Xk4Br9h2gfHhMX2K_ShVMidtdDQ9tSoYlqMJ-6AanByfLkArHWwP834UVe6Yr_npd4xBBUI6amQ6ccvkP-77roQlzqBDA3ulIFO_jjIdWaqZq7bvgqZSXm_lve17998BcBoU9_Tzw1POHxc9pyCr5gmtXbfDqdZesrQxyIqHNnDSSnoPsg9wfReDHeq9YFxRlF_M0oJhadung49bb-_giV8auD_ML8EUxkHctbjpq7fUDlPzOPkLHW1hww0gmpE5uiYEzY2KC-wgIcgsiCFXn-Ny_tKFjb1tDzsp4gzlJJ7dD3X32kLA3mjotp59TX58m2lScWHLGCrC7-ZvN9kd0ub5QmoDB8CBV61dB5ywZS7fdaULaXTi4yI0tWXBNCjM00MQsXexxW0TCJIVN40XkQhBjUz03XgvwGWbeqPkP7tylNNGus6zaniVBewX1NvaTVZDRzKNz6F1zGC3m_qOzyiV2V4a1cRiLJ5c26CnPJ70T-1FCLdxC3EG-8d__cV4XuEiV8LzdHWVX3EDcFUnPegtKJ_1vDsX-67Bb3FLRKo_sxTn4bG_BPFMZKCv=w521-h925-no

So question(s):

• Is this the correct way to attach a fuel line to a too-small-for-the-fuel-line fitting? It seems to me that it would be far to easy for the fuel line to disconnect, but perhaps I'm wrong?
  • Is a fuel fitting for the Bing 54 carb that would fit 1/4" ID fuel line available? I searched but could not find one. Perhaps it's out there but not shown as being specifically for the Bing 54?
  • Assuming I need to replace the existing fuel fitting, how is the existing fitting removed? I tried wrapping the fitting with some protection and using pliers to unscrew it but it wouldn't budge. For example, does the carb need to be fully disassembled and the fitting heated to soften a thread locker like Loctite? If so, when installing the new fitting (assuming I can find one), which Loctite product would be used?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Claude

Back