• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Billet Aluminum Rotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gofastclint

Here is a link i found interesting, Performance auto parts, turbochargers,Central Florida

Second product from the bottom of the page.

I can see a few good benefits in using aluminum rotors as opposed to the standard iron rotors from the Mazda factory.

1. Less weight is always better in an aircraft of any kind.

2. If you retain the same rpm that you are currently using in you standard rotor motor, the engine will vibrate a lot less, adding to the durability of the entire aircraft.
:)

3. The excellent heat properties of aluminum over iron (I think the oil system would play a much larger roll in the cooling of the motor and probably need a greater size cooler)

One issue I see is the greater expansion of aluminum will give minor wear issues during warm up due to clearances, though this is easily solved by using aluminum with a higher silicone content.

You will also need to replace or balance the counter weights.

There are so many pros and cons of using Aluminum rotor and i am looking forward to your input.

Back