Big TV vs small TV

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Eugene

When I built my panel one goal I was after was to try to separate flight information (instruments) from engine information. On the left side I have my LRI (Lift Reserve Indicator), slip/skid ball, and MGL Flight-2 instrument. The right side has my MGL Engine-1 and tach. Radio is on that side also and it would have been better to be a little closer but it's a "cozy" cockpit so not too difficult to deal with.

Also used switch covers of different colors to separate similar items i.e. mag switches, lights, avionics, etc. and safety bars that prevent the accidental shutting off of switches and also allows a "safety pin" to be inserted to prevent accidents at fly-ins from curious folks,

But over time things get added and/or moved. I'm trying now to figure where the auto pilot will be mounted ... most likely under the bottom in the center. Here's a not so recent photo (before the transponder was added under the panel beneath the slip/skid ball):

View attachment 110612
My priorities are different little bit. I am flying with right hand and trying to keep right side of the panel informational only. Everything with switches and buttons will go to the left. But nothing is set in stone of course. There's a good chance I will be changing everything 10 times before I settle.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
If you want new, affordable, and reliable instruments you might take a look at the MGL velocity singles. I flew to SnF behind a very nice dual Dynon set up but my budget won't ever see such in my plane. My MGL singles have been a good choice ...
Now that I've decided to go with the more expensive Jabiru engine instead of the Viking, I've been taking a closer look at MGL instead of Dynon as a possible way to offset that extra engine cost. The only big thing I'm not really sure of at this point is how to do ADS-B In for FIS-B. The Dynon systems wrap that all up in one neat package. The MGL 'package' choices seem kind of limited in that regard, and having to buy other equipment for that function would take the cost back up toward the Dynon system. The solution is probably in their site somewhere though. I just haven't found it yet. I do love the massive configurability of their systems though.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Okay, so MGL is working on a full ADS-B In/Out solution in one unit, but I don't know yet when it might come out. It fits in the same box their SP-7 AHRS is packaged in, so it's a pretty compact form factor.

Daleandee

Now that I've decided to go with the more expensive Jabiru engine instead of the Viking, I've been taking a closer look at MGL instead of Dynon as a possible way to offset that extra engine cost. The only big thing I'm not really sure of at this point is how to do ADS-B In for FIS-B.
I'm using the singles so I get my traffic and weather through my echoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT unit displayed on my iFly 740 GPS.

From what I understand iFly is now working on an EFB that they will show at Osh ... but it's still in Beta testing. I believe it will be an app that will run on a tablet but the particulars aren't known yet, at least not by me.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Came to this thread late, but if you are using TV viewing rules, you should at least have a La-Z-Boy recliner and a TV remote control to do it properly.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I'm using the singles so I get my traffic and weather through my echoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT unit displayed on my iFly 740 GPS...
Yeah, I should have made that more clear. The MGL EFIS does the same thing, feeding in FIS-B from an external system like UAvionix. My point was that I didn't want to go from Dynon to MGL to save money, and then have to buy an extra ADS-B In system to do what the Dynon already does. The MGL system would still be cheaper, but the cost difference goes down when you have to add extra stuff back in. Same thing with autopilot servos, wiring harnesses, etc. But that issue would be alleviated if they bring out that new all in one ADS-B solution they're working on (rumored to be the SP-14).

Came to this thread late, but if you are using TV viewing rules, you should at least have a La-Z-Boy recliner and a TV remote control to do it properly.
Does that come with adjustable pedals?

Eugene

When they first started shipping Skyboy to this country some flying magazine editors call it "la-z-boy in the sky". It is definitely very comfortable sitting position What's 48 inches at your elbows

IMG_0298.JPG

Daleandee

My point was that I didn't want to go from Dynon to MGL to save money, and then have to buy an extra ADS-B In system to do what the Dynon already does.
Dynon is some wonderful stuff! If I ever rebuild my panel (and hit the lottery) they are (presently) in first place. I was at a Dynon seminar some years ago and was quite impressed with their approach, especially to the testing of their products.

Daleandee

When they first started shipping Skyboy to this country some flying magazine editors call it "la-z-boy in the sky". It is definitely very comfortable sitting position What's 48 inches at your elbows
Agreed! A friend had one for sale some years ago and I found it to be quite roomy and comfortable. I did consider buying it but I already had a plane and couldn't afford another.