Big TV vs small TV

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Daleandee

Ifly makes a nice unit. Works with the UAvionics devices for ADS-B out. Highly recommended.
Just to clarify, I have the uAvionix Echo UAT unit and it gives me ADSB out & in on my iFly 740b. They work very well together.

Eugene

But there must be a recommendation from EFIS manufacturer for best viewing angle. And not only from side to side but also vertically. I am assuming it is 90°

IMG_5619.jpeg

FinnFlyer

Didn't read all the posts in this thread, but I don't think that TV size determination principles are applicable here.
As mentioned, change of focus (outside/inside) would be the determining factor here. That becomes more pronounced as you get older.
So, using any 'pad with different font sizes, looking at the pad and then into distance (with garage door open) and back will probably give you a good idea of what you need.

Of course, HUD is an alternative option.

Finn

BJC

HBA Supporter
But there must be a recommendation from EFIS manufacturer for best viewing angle. And not only from side to side but also vertically. I am assuming it is 90°

View attachment 109882
On my airplane:
26" from my eyes to center of EFIS, where you show 23"
Center of EFIS is 8 1/2" below eye level
Panel and EFIS are vertical
Panel and EFIS are covered by a glare shield that extends 4" aft of panel
Never had a glare problem with the EFIS

BJC

Hephaestus

No because most want retrofit work and putting an arbitrary ideal distance would create a war of arbitrary numbers. And then the safety guys like svsusteve would come around and remind you that you want the panel as far from your body as possible - for bad things happen sometimes incidents.

Best advice - find a tablet at the store with similar size/resolution roll your project into the driveway during the day / evening and see how viewable it is at various times of day / orientation to the sun. (worst will probably always be behind and just over your shoulder)

Eugene

On my airplane:
26" from my eyes to center of EFIS, where you show 23"
Center of EFIS is 8 1/2" below eye level
Panel and EFIS are vertical
Panel and EFIS are covered by a glare shield that extends 4" aft of panel
Never had a glare problem with the EFIS

BJC
Thank you. This kind of answer I was waiting for. I can work with numbers. This numbers is almost identical to Aeronca that parked next to me.

Eugene

As mentioned, change of focus (outside/inside) would be the determining factor here. That becomes more pronounced as you get older.
IMG_5615.jpeg
I actually crawled behind all this strings and managed to sit behind this "new panel". 24 inches is a little bit too much into my face. And I can see how this would be very uncomfortable with my bifocals continuously switch back-and-forth. So, I think I will try to move it away little bit and see how I feel.

From what I see on all older airplanes panel and instruments installed vertically because of all steam gauges. We don't have to do that in 21st century anymore, but then again, maybe we do because of reflections.

Looks like this is very much about personal preference. I will experiment with different positions and see what I like the most.

And no I am not planning to get older anytime soon!!! Why should I? I am pretty comfortable to stay right where I am. I like it here! I am OK with being 53 for very long time.

Daleandee

Just to make sure, iFly 740b doesn't have useful synthetic steam gauge and HSI display option like Garmin portables do. Correct?
You can get a panel page but the information is GPS driven unless you add an AHRS unit. Then you can add a artificial horizon in your instrument group.

From the manual:
Checking the box to enable EFIS will start the synthetic vision system, showing a 3D view of terrain, obstructions, traffic, and flight paths with an electronic flight information system (EFIS) overlaid onto it.
You also get things like "runway advisor" giving the winds for various runways (provided it has access to an ADSB weather update) and giving you the best options for the forecast. I haven't used it but it looks like a good tool. You also get Google earth pics of the airport with your position imposed on it for airports that have no charts available.

Lots of great things with the iFly units. No, I'm not a salesman just a happy customer.

EDIT: Here's a link to the iFly 740b guide: https://www.iflygps.com/portals/0/documentation/iFlyGPS Pilots Guide 10.3.pdf

There is also a manual for "extra features" which goes into such things as Multimedia uses and even how to connect a camera to the unit. I've seen where pilots have connected a GoPro camera to the unit and used the display to see what the camera is capturing. I haven't made it that far ... yet.

Last edited:

Eugene

Received message from Russia this morning. Apparently recommendation is to stay between 700 - 800 mm (27.5 - 31.5 inches).

Guy I am talking to, builds all his airplanes with 720 - 750 mm (28.5 - 29.5 inches) distance from pilot eyes to the center of the panel.

You need to tilt your panel down somewhat. That is very much dependent of how much higher you are sitting in reference to your instruments. In many cases, in most cases vertical installation works pretty good. But of course there is exceptions for airplanes with sitting position for pilot resembles sports car. Or in my case original Skyboy had very much helicopter visibility with a sitting position much higher above the panel.

Because recently I changed fuselage incidence by 5° my situation is now probably very close to normal.

Bottom line, my 24 inches didn't feel right and looks like it is much closer than recommended. Will play with it until I am happy (foam is cheap).

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Might as well put the engine on the front if that panel blocks the view anyway. Small helicopters have a small center panel with clear view on both sides.

Eugene

Moved 3 inches away and everything looks so much better. I think I will be building "panoramic" instrument panel! That is so cool. When you sit inside all instruments looking at you! Like you are a pilot in command or something!

IMG_5622.jpegIMG_5624.jpegIMG_5625.jpegIMG_5626.jpeg

Eugene

I was concerned about two things. Number one is how easy would be or difficult to get in and out of the airplane. And number two how bad would it be for my passenger. It is very important to make her happy. Didn't find any problems, looks good to me. Will keep going this way with some little changes.

IMG_5646.jpegIMG_5645.jpegIMG_5644.jpegIMG_5643.jpegIMG_5642.jpegIMG_5640.jpegIMG_5649.jpegIMG_5651.jpegIMG_5652.jpeg

BJC

HBA Supporter
If you plan to fly with your right hand on the stick, using your left hand to operate the EFIS, you may want to move the EFIS as far to the left as possible.

BJC

Eugene

If you plan to fly with your right hand on the stick, using your left hand to operate the EFIS, you may want to move the EFIS as far to the left as possible.

BJC
Big 10 inch screen is a dream for sometime in the future. For now I will plug-in Garmin 296 with my old instruments. But that brings the question about preferable arrangement of your instruments. What should go on top and what should go on the bottom? Is there a recommendation like that based on experience?

Like, speed as your friend, should be at the very top as close to your eyes as possible. Fuel is your friend as well

Eugene

If you plan to fly with your right hand on the stick, using your left hand to operate
BJC
So, this is my attempt to move all items with the buttons to the left that I need in flight. Please let me know if picture below look OK to you. I can only see that altimeter should get moved up a little bit.

IMG_5659.jpeg

Reactions: BJC