Big TV vs small TV

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
At one time in my life when I was buying new TV salesman was telling me that size of your new television always dictated by viewing distance.

So, I need to make a decision between 7 inch screen and 10 inch screen.

- Is 10 inch screen normally used in large airplanes where distance from your eyes to the screen is large?

- My 6 inch extension made out of plywood is giving me distance from my eyes to the screen of 24 inches. Is this situation perfect for 7 inch screen? Is 10 inch display would be too large? At this stage I can change anything.

- And why are we trying so hard to squeeze big TV in your cockpit if 1/2 of your display will be occupied by engine monitoring? Would it be smarter to arrange two 7 inch displays? This way second EFIS will be dedicated for engine monitoring and I will have redundancy in case of failure? Bigger is not always better in this case? But it is always better in some other specific cases?

This is all new questions to me, but I am sure someone out there already answered them along time ago.

View attachment 109730View attachment 109731View attachment 109734View attachment 109735View attachment 109736
TV viewing distance is based on distance visual acuity. Your panel will be in that no mans land at the outer edge of near vision and far. Like a computer monitor. As a practical matter, either size will be fine visually, but I agree with your thoughts on the twin 7" displays, for both dedicating one to engine monitoring, and for redundancy. Plus, I think the bigger displays just look out of place in GA cockpits.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
My iPad mini went black a few times. I think it was cold or hot or low battery or something. I like big easy to see mechanical gauges and the iPad as a removable backup.
That's why I'm leaning toward the AV-30 from UAvioncs. It replaces steam gauges, in a standard size hole. My plan is to replace the attitude indicator and DG, and ditch the vacuum system entirely, but still have the classic 6 pack look and feel, with 21st century functionality.

John Halpenny

Do any of these displays offer a variable resolution option? Sometimes my eyes would be happy with fewer and bigger numbers.

John

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Do any of these displays offer a variable resolution option? Sometimes my eyes would be happy with fewer and bigger numbers.

John
I think the AV-30 does. I know they have several levels of info they can display at once, including a "legacy" setting which is a direct mimic of the attitude indicator or DG, but I'm not sure about font size.

Hephaestus

Can we say that bigger is simply better when it comes to EFIS? Did anybody ever regret to put 10" EFIS?
Bigger is easier to focus on quickly during a scan.

I hate to say it... But I really like this setup.

When I finally start building, one of the things I've been wondering is breaking it down so that it's cirrus like... One main PFD, a backup - remote the comms/gps and take out 2 more screens. But I'm not sure how that effects cockpit flow, there are times it's nice to have that other box to reach for even if the PFD can do it... Requires a different flow that I wonder if I can adapt to. 30 years of reach for the bendix king gets hard to break.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Ipads overheat and shut down. Never had that problem with Android devices.
I think iPad might be ok if not in direct sun. I never never had it shutdown in flight.
But laying outside in the sun shuts it down. Maybe that prevents damage.

Eugene

I think iPad might be ok if not in direct sun. I never never had it shutdown in flight.
But laying outside in the sun shuts it down. Maybe that prevents damage.
Just talked to GRT guys. They confirm to me exactly what I was thinking.

I was flying with iPad for about $100 a month for Forflight = $1200 for one year = $12000 for 10 years.

I can get 7 inch EFIS with sunlight readable display for $1500 and all updates will be for free as long as I own this device. Let's say I will change it every 10 years.

So $1500 vs $12000!!! Will present this information to my financial advisor and see what she decides! And yes I already have a big smile on my face!!!

Eugene

Basic ForeFlight is $100 per year.
Stratus II, overhauled, $500 one time.
iPad, most people have one already

Cost: $600 for first year, thereafter, $100 per year.

BJC
Yes, hundred dollars was annual charge. I don't know what I was thinking. You just destroyed my plan for presentation to my wife completely!!!. That was such a good plan!!!

Lendo

My opinion for what it's worth, is that it depends on how much date is on the screen, how clear that data is, and how good is your eyesight. For me it would be a 10" or even two 10".
George

Eugene

Cost: $600 for first year said:
I'm not going to give up that easily!!!

Cost: $600 for first year, thereafter, $100 per year. = $1600 in 10 years for non-aviation device.

My plan is $1500 for a true aviation instrument.

And I would have to buy at least two iPads during this 10 years. I don't have one. Only MacBook and iPhone. So, I am still going to talk to her!!!

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Avare is free, but it requires a non-iPad tablet, or an Android phone. Chart and database updates are free.

Dynon 7" Skyview SE display $1,609 (currently out of stock on Dynon web store)
(10" Skyview SE is $2,609)
Dynon Aviation Charts/Obstacle Database updates are free
Charts/Airport Diagrams update from Seattle Avionics for Dynon are $99 per year, but you don't have to buy charts because Avare has them for free. Avare does not have airport diagrams to my knowledge.

Dynon DRX portable ADS-B receiver $395

Upfront cost is $2,008 for 7" Dynon SE and DRX ADS-B receiver, or $3,008 for 10" Dynon SE and DRX ADS-B receiver, plus the cost of an Android tablet (much cheaper than iPad) if you want something bigger than your phone to view airport diagrams. You can choose to view charts on the Dynon EFIS or on the phone/tablet.

Yearly cost is zero unless you must have airport diagrams. In that case it's $99 per year.
[CORRECTION: airport diagrams are in the facilities directory available free from the FAA]

Last edited:

Eugene

Avare is free, but it requires a non-iPad tablet, or an Android phone. Chart and database updates are free.

Dynon 7" Skyview SE display $1,609 (currently out of stock on Dynon web store)
(10" Skyview SE is $2,609)
Dynon Aviation Charts/Obstacle Database updates are free
Charts/Airport Diagrams update from Seattle Avionics for Dynon are $99 per year, but you don't have to buy charts because Avare has them for free. Avare does not have airport diagrams to my knowledge.

Dynon DRX portable ADS-B receiver $395

Upfront cost is $2,008 for 7" Dynon SE and DRX ADS-B receiver, or $3,008 for 10" Dynon SE and DRX ADS-B receiver, plus the cost of an Android tablet (much cheaper than iPad) if you want something bigger than your phone to view airport diagrams. You can choose to view charts on the Dynon EFIS or on the phone/tablet.

Yearly cost is zero unless you must have airport diagrams. In that case it's $99 per year.
Thank you for detail information!

From what I see in my little research, all instruments for experimental aviation priced very close. Otherwise they would be out of business in a short period of time. So, comes down to personal preference. My engine monitor is from GR a T. That is why to stay with GRT was my logical choice. This way engine monitor will talk to new EFIS.

At this stage I was simply looking for physical dimension so I can create new panel. GRT was by far easiest site to find out dimensions for their product.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I've always liked GRT equipment, and at one point years ago they were a top contender for my panel space. But as Dynon continued to develop it's line and Garmin started paying serious attention to the experimental market, GRT has been losing market share year after year. Although I have no doubts about the quality of their products, I have to consider the possibility they won't be around all that long. Unless you're new to aviation, you've probably heard the horror stories of aircraft owners with equipment in their aircraft made by companies that have gone out of business. A lot of people have paid dearly for being in that situation, and not just financially. I knew of two pilots who quit aviation entirely when faced with that situation. I don't malign GRT, nor do I wish them any ill will, but I have to do what's best to protect my dollars invested. Unfortunately that means they're no longer in the running for my panel space.

Eugene

I've always liked GRT equipment, and at one point years ago they were a top contender for my panel space. But as Dynon continued to develop it's line and Garmin started paying serious attention to the experimental market, GRT has been losing market share year after year. Although I have no doubts about the quality of their products, I have to consider the possibility they won't be around all that long. Unless you're new to aviation, you've probably heard the horror stories of aircraft owners with equipment in their aircraft made by companies that have gone out of business. A lot of people have paid dearly for being in that situation, and not just financially. I knew of two pilots who quit aviation entirely when faced with that situation. I don't malign GRT, nor do I wish them any ill will, but I have to do what's best to protect my dollars invested. Unfortunately that means they're no longer in the running for my panel space.
So, Dynon is #1 player in experimental market today?

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I believe Dynon is #1 for experimentals.

I forgot to mention earlier that you can download a facility directory with airport diagrams from the FAA for free, so you don't technically have to pay for any updates with the scenarios I mentioned.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I have to add another correction. The Skyview SE does not have mapping/charts, so you'd have to view those on the phone/tablet. That might make viewing the EFIS screen easier since there's less on it.

If you absolutely need charting on the EFIS, the 7" Skyview Classic is $2,509 and the 10" is $3,109. Whether or not the charts would be worth the extra money would be up to you. I have to say I'm a little curious why going from SE to Classic is $900 more for the 7" and only $700 more for the 10". Chart updates are still free.