Big TV vs small TV

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Eugene

At one time in my life when I was buying new TV salesman was telling me that size of your new television always dictated by viewing distance.

So, I need to make a decision between 7 inch screen and 10 inch screen.

- Is 10 inch screen normally used in large airplanes where distance from your eyes to the screen is large?

- My 6 inch extension made out of plywood is giving me distance from my eyes to the screen of 24 inches. Is this situation perfect for 7 inch screen? Is 10 inch display would be too large? At this stage I can change anything.

- And why are we trying so hard to squeeze big TV in your cockpit if 1/2 of your display will be occupied by engine monitoring? Would it be smarter to arrange two 7 inch displays? This way second EFIS will be dedicated for engine monitoring and I will have redundancy in case of failure? Bigger is not always better in this case? But it is always better in some other specific cases?

This is all new questions to me, but I am sure someone out there already answered them along time ago.

IMG_5595.jpegIMG_5594.jpegIMG_5596.jpegIMG_5598.jpegIMG_5596 2.jpeg

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
At one time in my life when I was buying new TV salesman was telling me that size of your new television always dictated by viewing distance.

So, I need to make a decision between 7 inch screen and 10 inch screen.

- Is 10 inch screen normally used in large airplanes where distance from your eyes to the screen is large?

- My 6 inch extension made out of plywood is giving me distance from my eyes to the screen of 24 inches. Is this situation perfect for 7 inch screen? Is 10 inch display would be too large? At this stage I can change anything.

- And why are we trying so hard to squeeze big TV in your cockpit if 1/2 of your display will be occupied by engine monitoring? Would it be smarter to arrange two 7 inch displays? This way second EFIS will be dedicated for engine monitoring and I will have redundancy in case of failure? Bigger is not always better in this case? But it is always better in some other specific cases?

This is all new questions to me, but I am sure someone out there already answered them along time ago.

View attachment 109730View attachment 109731View attachment 109734View attachment 109735View attachment 109736

Man I love the seat. Is that a custom design or factory supplied?

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
First I will say that you're applying television viewing principles to aircraft EFIS viewing, and the two of those things are not necessarily equivalent. For instance, you have to factor in transitioning from the windscreen to the panel when considering aircraft, and that may affect the best screen size. The viewing angles are also different. But since you are simply applying TV principles at the preliminary planning phase, you can find a TV screen size chart here:

You can move the sliders below the chart to get size recommendations. I won't make any judgement on how well that may or may not be applicable to aircraft EFIS screens.

Daleandee

As copilot on our recent SnF trip I sat behind a 7" Dynon screen. If I were to install one it would be a 10" like the pilot had. Great system with tons of information but a bit hard to see some of the small stuff on the 7" screen. For the time being, in my plane I'm satisfied with my MGL singles ...

Eugene

First I will say that you're applying television viewing principles to aircraft EFIS viewing, and the two of those things are not necessarily equivalent.
Thank you for responding. I was thinking that I am talking and comparing apples versus oranges. But I didn't know where to begin. I do know that I am in charge of this project and I can make big or small. Can we say that bigger is simply better when it comes to EFIS? Did anybody ever regret to put 10" EFIS?

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I've seen people regret putting in a larger screen EFIS, but it wasn't because of disappointment with the EFIS. It was because of the panel real estate the large screen occupied, which limited or prevented certain other equipment installation. How that may or may not affect you is something you have to determine.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does that center tube really block the pilot's view of the RH side of the panel or is just where you took the photo from? Because if it does, you don't want to put anything important on that side.

Why the six inch extension?

BJC

HBA Supporter
As copilot on our recent SnF trip I sat behind a 7" Dynon screen. If I were to install one it would be a 10" like the pilot had. Great system with tons of information but a bit hard to see some of the small stuff on the 7" screen. For the time being, in my plane I'm satisfied with my MGL singles ...
That demonstrates that personal preference is a big factor, once the display is big enough to be readable.

FWIW, I prefer the smaller EFIS screens. I have an AFS 5500 with an 8.4” screen.

Eugene, print some full size images, tape them on, and take a look.

BJC

Wayne

HBA Supporter
Log Member
We have the 7” version in one of our Skyhawks (there’s an STC now!) and the only reason it’s not a 10” is because we didn’t have room. With the density of information that is available, including split views, it would be my strong recommendation to get the larger screen if you can.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
...Eugene, print some full size images, tape them on, and take a look.

BJC
That's an excellent idea. There are documents on the Dynon web site that have actual size images for their EFISs, for that very purpose. Don't forget to allow room for whatever else you're going to install. Two of their 10 inch EFISs look great on my panel mockup, but they don't leave room to install everything else I'd like.

Last edited:

gtae07

Two large screens does get tight if your panel is small or you're trying to cram in IFR gear too. But even my 36 year old eyes have a bit of trouble reading a 7in Skyview.

Eugene

Does that center tube really block the pilot's view of the RH side of the panel or is just where you took the photo from? Because if it does, you don't want to put anything important on that side.

Why the six inch extension?
Yes, that center tube inside of cockpit currently blocking fuel gauge. Last time at Oshkosh I landed almost with empty tank because of that. We were going around Green Lake too many times on that Monday morning and I was too busy looking around at all those airplanes around me.
IMG_0279 3.JPG
If harness adjusted correctly, I really can't move forward. Sitting position is very comfortable and I can't really complain. Truly like a "lazy boy" chair. However right side of the panel almost impossible to reach.

IMG_0494.JPG

Garmin 296, radio and transponder mounted on separate brackets about 6 inch forward. That was my reason for trying move whole panel this much.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 21.07.40.png

Distance from my eyes to the old panel right in front of me approximately 30 inches or so. Yes I can reach it. But working with GPS or radios was so much more convenient because they so much closer.

IMG_0298.JPG

Don't have a really good picture to show that radio installed on different bracket. This 6 inches extension allows me to reach whole panel. I am not sure if it's going to stay this way. In fact I am not sure of anything. That is why I am talking. Once again I was hoping to find out some kind of a strong recommendation which would be based on viewing distance. But looks like it is all about personal preference. I guess I have to print some pictures and put them on this plywood to find out what my personal preference is. I was hoping to make it into easy removable panels and using old instruments for now. Later on when I get approval from my financial advisor I can always switch to 21st-century instruments. If I ever get that approval..... But there's hope for that and that is why a new panel needs to be large enough.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
In a crash impact the head can strike the instrument panel when it crushes rearward. The seat belts and structure can stretch quite a bit letting the pilot move forward. I would rather loosen the belts to adjust the radio in cruise. Then cinch the belts for landing.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
...I was hoping to make it into easy removable panels and using old instruments for now. Later on when I get approval from my financial advisor I can always switch to 21st-century instruments.
Have you priced the older steam gauges lately? Reports I've seen are they're harder and harder to come by lately, and that maintenance on them makes them a lot more expensive than they used to be. I think that's not only due to the expense of maintaining older equipment, but also because fewer shops are working on them now. You can source used stuff at places like eBay and get some decent stuff, but apparently there's a lot of garbage being passed off as serviceable equipment on those sites. Maybe somebody here can give you some info on that stuff from personal experience.

Daleandee

You can source used stuff at places like eBay and get some decent stuff, but apparently there's a lot of garbage being passed off as serviceable equipment on those sites. Maybe somebody here can give you some info on that stuff from personal experience.
If you want new, affordable, and reliable instruments you might take a look at the MGL velocity singles. I flew to SnF behind a very nice dual Dynon set up but my budget won't ever see such in my plane. My MGL singles have been a good choice ...

Eugene

Have you priced the older steam gauges lately?
No I didn't. And really didn't do my homework as far as what is out there available today for EFIS. My airplane will be under construction for at least two more years. I was figuring that doesn't make sense to try to learn what's out there today with this fast changing world.

I do know that whatever I have is working and it's legal. And I shouldn't have any issues with existing instruments to test flight this aircraft when it's all finished. When I am all done with my changes structurally, then I will rip everything out an upgrade to 21st century. As long as there will be enough room on new instrument panel. I have no idea what this will cost me in two or three years, but ideally would be approach this as completely new, absolutely empty Aircraft and install everything new including wiring. My airplane was built in 2001, so it will be time for change in 2013-14 for sure. I heard that every manufacturer out there is offering you complete package for new aircraft. That would be the way to go. I think. But I will have to ask my wife first...

Many people strongly recommend to find a way to install iPad. On my first trip to Oshkosh in 2017 going around Green Lake my iPad went completely blank and all I can see is black screen. That was the moment when I promised to myself, no more iPads.

Wayne

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Many people strongly recommend to find a way to install iPad. On my first trip to Oshkosh in 2017 going around Green Lake my iPad went completely blank and all I can see is black screen. That was the moment when I promised to myself, no more iPads.
I like three layers of redundancy so for my Zenith Cruzer I have the 8" GRT Sport EX EFIS, a spot for a removable iPad mini and my phone. The GRT has its own mapping/GPS/ADSB and the iPad and Phone have Foreflight. Add a paper map and you have 4 options. Overkill? YMMV.