Big tires on a Firefly?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

DarylP

Hi everyone,
As a person that wants to build a kit somewhere down the line, and one that will be off field capable, I have wondered if you could put large tires on a Kolb Firefly? Or for that matter, the Mark III, or the Chinook. I have seen a T-Bird with big tires, at least a lot bigger than the stock.
If I can't afford the kit I want, then I was thinking of designs like I have listed, but would feel better with some beefy mains, and tail-wheel. I have not seen a picture of one of those planes with big tires, so I wondered if there was a reason you couldn't. Like landing gear, AOA ect ect.

Thanks
Daryl

Wit

I don't know about the Firefly, but the Chinook can fit some pretty capable tires. It also has a very strong 4130 gear assembly. Mine has held up well so far, and I fly off fairly rough strips. Here's a pic from the ASAP site:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure, why not? You can put big tires on nearly any airplane, within reason of course. The Kolbs (except for the UltraStar) actually make pretty good bush planes. I've been thinking of trying to find some tall skinny wheels for my UltraStar, since I'm severely limited in width by my storage trailer.

-Dana

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

PTAirco

Somewhere I read a report recently issued by the FAA about the possible side effects of the current craze for giant Tundra tires on aircraft. Seems to me they are being a little over-cautious, but theses big tires do have a de-stabilzing effect and frequently are pretty heavy too.

DarylP

One of my concerns was if you landed on a paved runway. I say that because the big tires can be a bit hard to get spinning. So since the planes I am speaking of are lighter I was worried that you could nose-over easier than usual. Dana, what would you put on the Firefly?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the Firefly (or any plane) I'd start with what the manufacturer recommends, and go from there. On high engine pusher designs ground clearance is less of an issue.

Of course tires of any size wouldn't have helped me last night. Landing my UltraStar on a grass field after a rain, I ran into a puddle just after touchdown. WHAM! Water sprayed everywhere and I came to a stop rather abruptly. Made a hell of a noise as water hit the prop, I was soaked to the skin, engine quite due to a water soaked air filter. No damage though, and good thing it was my new home field... it would have been a cold flight back!

-Dana

Sex in a Volkswagen = Farfergnookie.

drake

There was testing done in the 80s or early 90s with cubs and large tires causing stall spins or moose stalls as sometimes called and evidence of big tires causing spins or disrupting the air over or around the tail surface was found. Dont let big tires on pavement scare you it is done every day. On gravel or grass or off airport they do slide a bit more compared to small tires due to the more surface area while hard braking is applied.

Group Builder