Bid Strength

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

Is this a redesign in composite or are you wanting to add this to your structure? How are you going to mitigate the problems of putting carbon and aluminum together?

proppastie

Log Member
Is this a redesign in composite or are you wanting to add this to your structure? How are you going to mitigate the problems of putting carbon and aluminum together?
Wing Load Test Failure Aluminum Dragon
the only serious buckling was as shown in the pictures of that 4" section of top cap......there were a couple of wrinkles out at the tip where it hit on the ground...I have already pounded them out and the fabric should bridge the small dents on the bottom

Had I extended those 1/4 alum angles into the leading edge this would not have happened.......so the plan (subject to change) is to now have total 36" long angles in place of the angles shown going at least 1/2 the way between the 1st and 2ud rib....I will be taking away the existing angles and maybe the existing carry through splices and adding to the existing structure longer angles and carry through splices along with another splice at the joint where the bent metal will be cut out......now this is really getting heavy....and I am running out of wiggle room as regards part 103 (254 lb) so I am looking at spending some money to buy these angles and splice plates in Carbon........

The plan it to have a layer of 1.8 oz Dacron fabric between the aluminum and carbon....depending on how the calculations work out I may not need 1/4 thick or 3" leg angle. One problem is that I can not use aluminum rivets and will have to bolt this on and the steel bolts do weigh more....again its a little bit of spread sheet work and comparisons of the different possibilities.

My next airplane design might be a minimum weight micro-lift powered glider in carbon....but with the pace I am going I will be in my 80's before that gets done.