BF-109 Aerofoil Question

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

raymondbird

Supporting Member
Ha, thanks, I think I need all the love I can get. ;) Let's hope it's not a huge mistake. The Mustang II and Rocket are metal planes? I never say no to useful references.

I admit to curiosity about how you're placing the ribs around your CF spar? Are you still using wood for them? Do you now have a round cut-out for the spar instead of Marcel's box one? Too many questions? :)
Still using wood ribs like a Falco that butt up instead of go around. Falco build manual (fabulous) and plans available online for free. You can see in post #35 spar is rectangular. Outer wing spars will bolt to main through a 2' overlap. You could PM me for more questions - love questions . . .

Shayde

Still using wood ribs like a Falco that butt up instead of go around. Falco build manual (fabulous) and plans available online for free.

I haven't heard of the Falco before, and not come across the plans. They definitely make interesting reading. And the build manual... 423 pages. Wowza. I can see I have some light reading to do. ;)

You can see in post #35 spar is rectangular. Outer wing spars will bolt to main through a 2' overlap. You could PM me for more questions - love questions . . .

Ah, I see. I was thinking of a big tube for some reason, even though you had said "rods". So you use CF rods for spar caps. Clever. Are the rods square, or is there something else surrounding them?

raymondbird

Supporting Member
I haven't heard of the Falco before, and not come across the plans. They definitely make interesting reading. And the build manual... 423 pages. Wowza. I can see I have some light reading to do. ;)

Ah, I see. I was thinking of a big tube for some reason, even though you had said "rods". So you use CF rods for spar caps. Clever. Are the rods square, or is there something else surrounding them?
Ya, the spars are made up from multiple carbon rods (5mm x 2mm) for the caps, foam or wood for the core and wrapped in fiberglass for the shear webs. The math is pretty easy if you buy the design manual by a Jim Marske. That Falco manual and plans is the cat's ass for wood building. You'll be an expert after studying all that.

Shayde

Ya, the spars are made up from multiple carbon rods (5mm x 2mm) for the caps, foam or wood for the core and wrapped in fiberglass for the shear webs. The math is pretty easy if you buy the design manual by a Jim Marske. That Falco manual and plans is the cat's ass for wood building. You'll be an expert after studying all that.

Here's hoping a cat's ass is a good thing. ;) I guess the cat wouldn't want to do without it.

Okay, gotcha on the carbon rods wrapped in fibreglass. That is pretty neat. That gives me some things to think about. Plus lots of reading material. Thanks for the info.

Bill-Higdon

TheCatsPortSide_WEB.jpg