Between-the-war aircraft replicas

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Which between-the-war aircraft replica

• Total voters

Swampyankee

The scenario in which the Japanese military and political leadership actually listened to Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto and other senior Japanese admirals who opposed the Tripartite Act of alliance with Nazi German and Fascist Italy and warned against war with the United States might have resulted in a very different world today. Would the U.S. have entered the war without the attack on Pearl Harbor to galvanize public opinion? We'll never know, thank goodness, but the prospect is very scary.

Getting back to airplanes, I have always like the lines of the Fiat CR series biplanes especially the final CR.42. I would not want a replica of a Fascist Italian military aircraft, but they were also used by Sweden and, as you can see, Belgium.

View attachment 69948

With Japan? Possibly not, although the isolationists were much more willing to go to war in places other than Europe; their policy of non-involvement didn't include South or Central America, Mexico, and there was a lot of bad feeling between the US and Japan over China, in which the US was heavily involved. Twenty-four years later, with a more isolationist president, the kaiser's Germany managed to get the US involved. I predict that the US would be at war with Germany no later than mid-1942

Svetlio_i

Building 80% scale Avia B-534 . Soon going to share more pictures of my project

Attachments

• Avia B-534 Istument.jpg
    Avia B-534 Istument.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 37
  • avia.jpg
    avia.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 266463554_3040239892909081_3416068473566336993_n.jpg
    266463554_3040239892909081_3416068473566336993_n.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 7e65caf57cc80c6dca8ea90eea253d3a.jpg
    7e65caf57cc80c6dca8ea90eea253d3a.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 43

Bigshu

Easy build would be either a Fokker V23 or V25. You can get almost everything you need from Robert Baslee at airdrome aeroplanes (combine parts of DVI or DVII and DVIII kits to get what you need). Doesn't get much easier than tube and gusset with orotex covering. You can use a VW for one or a radial for the other, depending on which fuselage you go with. This might end up being my next build.

Hawk81A

Ha! I immediately thought "Airacuda". Oh, and it has to be part 103. The Airabonita could be another interesting possibility. Dennis

flitzerpilot

Hello Svetlia! I applaud your choice of the superlative Avia B.534 at 80% scale! I designed one of these back in the late 1970s to the same scale, intending to use a 100 hp Blackburn Cirrus Minor ll, but could not afford to progress it at the time. Instead I commenced construction of my Tigerfalk biplane and ultimately started the Flitzer series of biplanes. But these are not replicas and I was always attracted building scaled replicas despite going in another direction! Salute!

I attach some of Flitzer images for reference, but I always loved the Avia B.534.

Attachments

• IMG_5434.jpg
    IMG_5434.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 21
  • FlitzerTwoShip04.jpg
    FlitzerTwoShip04.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Z-1RS-2 Hungarian GA .jpg
    Z-1RS-2 Hungarian GA .jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Goblin Meteorstab 3-view.jpg
    Goblin Meteorstab 3-view.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 21

Sraight'nlevel

OK, from the 'end of an era' perspective I would recommend the Bristol Bulldog. Both tremendously aerobatic and dangerous to do so (the Douglas Bader story.)
It is probably the most important British inter-war fighter.
View attachment 59440 View attachment 59441
The U.S. Navy bought a couple for dive-bombing tests in 1930, I don't know if the Bulldog influenced latter Navy planes.

Yes leave out the cylinders and put an electric engine on it.

100_1.jpg

Svetlio_i

Hello Svetlia! I applaud your choice of the superlative Avia B.534 at 80% scale! I designed one of these back in the late 1970s to the same scale, intending to use a 100 hp Blackburn Cirrus Minor ll, but could not afford to progress it at the time. Instead I commenced construction of my Tigerfalk biplane and ultimately started the Flitzer series of biplanes. But these are not replicas and I was always attracted building scaled replicas despite going in another direction! Salute!

I attach some of Flitzer images for reference, but I always loved the Avia B.534.
Nice job man. I appreciate your sharing photos. For the Avia I'm using Suzuki G13BB engine. We trying to build it maximum close to the original aircraft using same technology . I will try to make more photos with the progress . Also I will make a video how to build it.

flitzerpilot

Hi Svetlio-i, Thanks, I consider the Aeromomentum inclined or upright Suzuki-based motor an ideal motor for many replica types and yes the Czech replica is 75% I believe. In my opinion 80% is about the minimum to re-create a credible replica type when viewed at ground level. This works very well with biplanes as one then looks 'up' at them rather than down, as with a low wing monoplane fighter, which unfortunately conveys a toy-like impression. I very much look forward to seeing your progress on the Avia and also on the Bf 109G6, one of my absolute favourite fighter aircraft.

For interest I attach a picture of a 'Yak 9' which I converted from the prototype Taylor Monoplane in the 1970's and an impression of the Szarka Sz-1 projected Flitzer evolution as it might have appeared as a night-harassment machine in WW2. :0)

Attachments

• YAK DSCF3536 The  Williams Taylor -Yak awaits take off clearance- Blake's Aviation Archives.JPG
    YAK DSCF3536 The Williams Taylor -Yak awaits take off clearance- Blake's Aviation Archives.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 36
  • Szarkak Nachtstart 2 1943.png
    Szarkak Nachtstart 2 1943.png
    509.1 KB · Views: 38

raymondbird

Sorry, but glad you couldn't go that way as I love your Flitzer's . . . !