Better Half VW Ignition

Discussion in 'Half VW' started by skyblue515, Sep 16, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 16, 2019 #1

skyblue515

skyblue515

skyblue515

Hello everyone, I ordered the Better Half VW Plans from Mr Millholland, the only thing that says about ignition is to get a Bosh 009 and its settings but there's no mention about what I see in many images that appears to be like a special two cylinder distributor cap. Such part exist or this is something some builders create?. I have never liked the look of the distributor sticking out and I believe there's like a 90 degree cap but I have searched Ebay and the web and not found that either. Any pointers appreciated.

2. Sep 16, 2019 #2

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

3. Sep 16, 2019 #3

skyblue515

skyblue515

skyblue515

4. Sep 17, 2019 #4

5. Sep 17, 2019 #5

skyblue515

skyblue515

skyblue515

" you would have to plug two holes. "
    Just randomly or there's some specific way to do it, do the internal studs need to be removed?

"Why not just cap the distributor and use the single set of points and two lobes to fire a wasted spark coil."
    Because of the hole process of building the engine the ignition part is kinda of a mystery to me and the plans are not specific. I did look into Great Plains and didn't found it thanks.

6. Sep 17, 2019 #6

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

It's great that you want to learn this and build your own airplane engine! Our hobby needs more people willing to do the learning and work to get there rather than just write a check.

But you have a lot of learning ahead of you to do this well. If the ignition system is giving you problems there are more, even harder to detect, challenges waiting for you. Take a look at the current VW thread and work along with Little Scrapper as he builds his VW.

The suggestion to just use the points and a waste spark coil pack is a good one. We all plugged up 2 holes on the 4 cyl cap and ground off 2 lobes on the distributor cam because that is all we had to work with 2 decades ago.

A Citroen 2CV cap - might - fit on a Bosch distributor............never had the 2 in the same place at the same time.
    [​IMG]

Charles_says likes this.
  7. Sep 17, 2019 #7

skyblue515

skyblue515

skyblue515

Hey thanks for the Idea, will look into possible other applications that might fit.

Reading now scrapper thread.