Best/Worst States for GA

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Monty

I'm curious....

AR...has a horrible use/personal property tax regime. Aircraft are considered business property and assessed accordingly. If you sell the aircraft you must collect 7% sales tax. I had to pay about $900 dollars in use tax, plus annual business personal property tax for the privileged of flying my airplane.

I guess on the plus side my hangar rent for a municipal, towered, paved field with gas that is 5 min from my front door, and 10 min from work is only $175/mo...

So as far as GA goes what are the best and worst states?

Last edited:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Alaska is number 1. Around 10% of the population are pilots. It is a usual way to travel. There is not much man made to hit. And there are fewer witnesses and they are widely dispersed.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Can't say best or worst, but I can tell you CA isn't the best. ALL auto fuel, boat fuel, ag fuel, ALL non-aero fuel contains ethanol. Period, full stop. Usually E15. Absolutely no towing the airplane on its own gear; all transport must be done on/in a licensed and registered trailer. I'm sure there are other lovely things associated with my state. I'm sure we're probably on the spearpoint of trying to get rid of 100LL go away.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Whether good or bad for GA, I think California, Florida, Texas and Alaska have the bulk of GA activity. California was pretty much aerospace central during much of aviation development, and Florida’s has become very light-sport centric.

I’m sure good flying weather, population concentration, and financial strength contributed to GA growth in these states, with the exception of weather in Alaska.

TFF

I have heard of people licensing their planes as trailers before. Tennessee is pretty good. Sales tax is high but no state income tax. It really balances out. True business airplane, I don't know. No Recurring tax on owning mine. Until about ten years ago, all AV fuel sales went to TN airports. The state looking for money went what is all this money sitting here? Oh it can only be used for airports. Reright laws so they could raid the account. Still the legacy is lots of nice airports everywhere. Nashville has a boom going on so it's expensive over there, but it's a boom. More than likely it is where your job is going to be. Probably 100 GA airports in the state, not including private airports. A couple of those have ILSs.

Pops

Log Member
In WV if you have an N-number in your name, you WILL pay taxes on an airplane each year even if all you have is a data plate. So in building a homebuilt, don't get a N- number early, wait as long as you can.
Back many years ago, you were taxed from the county where the airplane was based, not the home address of the owner. You could get tax bills from several counties in the same year. That didn't work so it was changed to the county of the home address of the airplane owner. That worked.
But, not to leave well enough alone, 2 years ago they changed it back to where the airplane was parked at when they took the N-number off the airplane . I talked to the county assessor about this, ( Resent immigrant from CA). She said, looks like they will have to get a lawyer if billed from 2 or more counties. I told her it looks like a lawyer welfare program to me. We have a lot of lawyers looking for work. Last election she got defeated and hope she moves back to CA.

pwood66889

Oregon was pretty reasonable when I was there - $50 (surely raised by now) for a year on the 1946 plane I flew. Even the 1966 one paid that.
Alabama is county based, and they talk to each other!
Percy

Monty

I'm thinking towards retirement about what state I would like to own a lot on an airport. I will still work, even when I'm "retired" I'll just pick and choose the projects, so the business tax/regulatory climate is as important as the income/property tax situation.

Of course TX and FL come to mind. Though TX property taxes are really high. Basically unless you have a high income the cost of living there is not much better than AR.

FL-seems like the best choice so far, but I've had my fill of hurricanes and mosquitoes.

NH vaguely interests me, but the pull is very mild.

Other current candidates are AZ, CO, NM, OR, possibly NV. CA is beautiful-my father was born in norcal back when it was barely above a wilderness, but it's been infested to the point of insanity....not really on my list, the taxes aren't actually that bad as long as you don't live in LA or one of the other big cities, but the government is run by those big cities, and they are CRAZY!! The regulations would make my little machine shop endeavors way too difficult.

I've noticed the old folks tend to follow the sun....must be a reason. Winter doesn't bother me much now, but I guess I'll go with the flow..I expect I'll find out why, long after I don't have the energy to move again!

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Washington has low airplane tax. No tax if "unairworthy".
Discounted property tax for low income over age 61.
No state income tax.
Does have sales tax but I don't buy much anymore other than excempt food.

Edit: mosquitos are rare here :)

Last edited:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Retirees are fleeing CA because it is not a retirement friendly state, and it’s getting worse. The cost of living is rising and so are the taxes, and I won’t even start about the other financial and non-financial ways that the state is screwing up the way of life there.

I don’t know about Florida, but it’s full of retirees, so it must be doing something right. The light-sport market is strong there.

Texas has a thriving economy, especially around Dallas. Property taxes are high, but income taxes are very low and property is cheap. If you rent rather than buy, it probably works in your favor.

Last edited:

Swampyankee

Connecticut is expensive, in that aircraft, cars, and boats have to pay local property taxes (all are taxed based on the owner's legal residence's address; iirc there are exemptions for military and college students whose legal residences are out of state. The state will check up -- a guy had his boat [parked at a marina in Connecticut] confiscated as he had it registered it in Florida, but hadn't sailed it outside of Long Island Sound for at least a decade).

Probably more serious problems than property taxes is that much of the state is buried under the inverse wedding cake that is the control area for JFK, LGA, EWR, and a few other major airports and the state has about as many people as Oklahoma on about a twelfth of the land.

Swampyankee

I'm thinking towards retirement about what state I would like to own a lot on an airport. I will still work, even when I'm "retired" I'll just pick and choose the projects, so the business tax/regulatory climate is as important as the income/property tax situation.

Of course TX and FL come to mind. Though TX property taxes are really high. Basically unless you have a high income the cost of living there is not much better than AR.

FL-seems like the best choice so far, but I've had my fill of hurricanes and mosquitoes.

NH vaguely interests me, but the pull is very mild.

Other current candidates are AZ, CO, NM, OR, possibly NV. CA is beautiful-my father was born in norcal back when it was barely above a wilderness, but it's been infested to the point of insanity....not really on my list, the taxes aren't actually that bad as long as you don't live in LA or one of the other big cities, but the government is run by those big cities, and they are CRAZY!! The regulations would make my little machine shop endeavors way too difficult.

I've noticed the old folks tend to follow the sun....must be a reason. Winter doesn't bother me much now, but I guess I'll go with the flow..I expect I'll find out why, long after I don't have the energy to move again!
I don't know what's taxed in New Hampshire, as they have no broad-based sales or income taxes, but I do know they have quite high property taxes (and taxes on dividends).

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Connecticut is expensive, in that aircraft, cars, and boats have to pay local property taxes (all are taxed based on the owner's legal residence's address; iirc there are exemptions for military and college students whose legal residences are out of state. The state will check up -- a guy had his boat [parked at a marina in Connecticut] confiscated as he had it registered it in Florida, but hadn't sailed it outside of Long Island Sound for at least a decade).

Probably more serious problems than property taxes is that much of the state is buried under the inverse wedding cake that is the control area for JFK, LGA, EWR, and a few other major airports and the state has about as many people as Oklahoma on about a twelfth of the land.
Nope, no personal property tax on airplanes in CT, they did away with that some years ago. They replaced it with a state aircraft registration sticker, price based on gross weight, that you have to buy from the town where the plane is based. Once a year the airport manager sends a list to the town clerk. If your plane's not at an airport you're free.

Monty

So best tax wise is Alaska @6.5%, Arkansas 10.1% and worst is NY at 12.7%....CA is 11%. TN is #4 at 7.3%..TX is #5 @ 7.6%.

Not a huge spread and the way most of these numbers are compiled is deceiving. What matters most to the average schmoe...like me... is regulatory burden and property taxes. Sales taxes are not a huge deal unless you are really poor, and property values*property taxes is the most important. Income...not so much. Unless you are making $300K a year or more property taxes are going to be a larger portion of your expenses. TX is number 5 in this list, but I promise I'd pay more for existing anywhere I'd want to live in TX. My house would cost more, and my property taxes would be higher than the reduction in income tax.

AR has low property tax, they just aren't that friendly to aircraft or small business. Weather is meh....bad in the winter.

I could save 3.6% by moving to AK!!!!.....except that groceries and everything else has "not lower 48 tax".....HI too.....looks great, except not.

don january

Log Member
You know I have to wonder what does GA Taxes have to do with a HOME BUILT AIRPLANE coming out of the hanger regardless of what state?? IF I had a 172 0r a 206 then I guess I'd not be following HBA.

Pops

Log Member
You know I have to wonder what does GA Taxes have to do with a HOME BUILT AIRPLANE coming out of the hanger regardless of what state?? IF I had a 172 0r a 206 then I guess I'd not be following HBA.
Some states tax Home Built Airplanes a lot more than other states. This county assessed my SSSC about 2.5X more than it cost me to build it.

Monty

I suppose you could not register the airplane and fly from your back yard. Then talk to no one. sure....makes sense. For the rest of us, when we get an N number, the tax man sends you a little yellow piece of paper. No matter whether you bought it out of state or built it yourself. If you purchased it, you will owe 8% of the purchase price in use tax (where I live) Then you will pay business personal property tax every year on the assessed value....

If you built it, they will assess a value to it, you better have receipts and a log book if you want to argue with them. You will still pay and pay and pay....some states more than others. Some states have good weather, nice taxes, low hangar rent, and reasonable aircraft registration costs....I'm just asking.

BTHW...my airplane is an EAA bipe, and the purchase price was far South of $20K. I'm hardly in the turbine twin club....and yet I paid $900 the first year for the privilege of owning an airplane.