• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Best way to get (somewhat) current while building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to rent?

• Total voters

gtae07

Supporting Member
So I got to thinking today (yes, dangerous, I know) about trying to get in some hours while I finish building my airplane (estimating 1.5-2 years remaining). I do manage to squeeze in an occasional flight in my dad's RV-6, but such opportunities are even less common than they were now that my son is in school and we can't visit easily during the school year (my parents live ~4 hours away)--and even then it was nothing like my college days when I could come home and fly for sweat equity every weekend. So I thought, what if I rented something in the meantime? It wouldn't be an RV so it wouldn't help towards type-specific time for insurance, but it would be flying...

The last time I rented an airplane in any consistent fashion was in 2002, so I started looking at local flight schools to see what's out there and available for use. I found one up the road that's owned by a former coworker with an LSA, a C150, and a Piper (I actually did a flight review with him a long time ago in said LSA; I didn't know he was still in business). He also does instruction up to CFI level--not that I intend to go that high.

For the last couple years I have been putting money aside at least equal to my estimated operating expenses rate for the RV (hangar, insurance, gas, maintenance reserve) and using that as my build fund. My RV project is now fully-funded and I'm continuing to set the money aside, so I do have the funds to do any one of the options below without jeopardizing the build or my finances.

I'm looking at three options:

Option 1: Rent the 150 and putt around, maybe taking my son up for some local flights to get him out of wife's hair.
Pro: Cheaper hourly cost, something to do with my son, I've flown them before, can do it a couple times a month
Con: It's time, but won't count beyond that.

Option 2: Go for my instrument rating in the Piper
Pro: It's an instrument rating, small insurance discount on RV, counts as flight review when done, could practice IFR with Dad now that he's equipped
Con: Roughly 2x hourly cost (on average) compared to C150, can't really do it with son, more rapid buildup of cost, not the same avionics and handling as my airplane will be

Option 3: Join the glider club and use my glider rating
Pro: Glider time! It's fun. Maybe get son involved.
Con: Much bigger time commitment on flying days due to club obligations, cost per flight probably comes out close to the 150, monthly membership fee even without flying

So the big money question is... in my situation, what would you do?

Back