Best video for making wooden forms to bend ribs?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
there just isn't an easy way to make the form with flutes without trial and error and that just adds time to the process.

The spacing of the flutes isn't critical; you'll be adjusting the flute depth anyway to flatten the ribs. Tight spacing will lead to shallower flutes and vice versa. Just start with a spacing that is similar to another known design and you should be OK. The Homebuilt Help video mentioned earlier should give a pretty good sense of this.

pylon500

Supporting Member
Actually, I rushed the rib block process a little with that project, and then realised a lot of the flutes occurred where I wanted to put rivets, once I had determined a good pitch for them. :oops:
Having a tapered wing with parallel skin stringers took a bit of fudging, but once I figured where I wanted the flute, I just popped all the other matching ribs back on the block and fudged.:rolleyes:
Good thing I'm working with 6061.

robertl

The plans don't show the flutes, just the rib profile that you are to loft onto a wooden blank and by the time I figured out where to put the the flutes on the form I would have made the 10 or so ribs I need.

I watched a few videos on making the ribs flat with flutes post forming and that's what I will do. there just isn't an easy way to make the form with flutes without trial and error and that just adds time to the process.

You might be able to figure out the flutes by figuring the rivet spacing. And with fluting pliers you can straighten and flatten the ribs by increasing or decreasing the flute.