Best value used EXPERIMENTAL

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Little Scrapper, Sep 7, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 26, 2018 #121

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I meant it scrapper its good to hear from you. Keep checking in once in a while. Im pretty sure everyone here means well.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  2. Nov 26, 2018 #122

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

It's all good. Everyone means well which is why I felt comfortable sharing my current situation. Things are going very well here at home, I suppose that's what happens when your goal is to improve.

cdlwingnut, davidb and akwrencher like this.
  3. Nov 26, 2018 #123

davidb

davidb

davidb

Mike, you are a good man and it sounds like you are doing the right things. Thanks for sharing. There’s a lesson here for all of us.

akwrencher likes this.
  4. Nov 26, 2018 #124

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Each and every one of is here on HBA has gone through something similar or identical. So if we are quick to offer advice, forgive us. Not only do all of us mean well (obviously) but most of us have also dealt with family members or outside influences that are against aviation, or don't support the extent to which we pursue it.

For whatever it is worth, I would suggest focusing on having a flyable safe 2 or 4 seater at the beginning, so that each of your family members can experience flying and directly share some of the magic moments. Even if you have to take one at a time with you, you can still fly one of the kids to a fishing pond, or another one to a hunting area, or another one to see something in nature best seen from the air. That can hopfully create some memorable and positive family moments that the kid(s) get as much of a benefit out of as you do.

Again I apologize for sticking my opinion and my nose into your business, but I would suggest a bushplane type aircraft in your situation. Something that can take you and one or more of your family to a fishing or hunting area, a camping area, land on a river sandbar to fish, etc. So aviation and airplanes becomes the vehicle to get your kids someplace not many others get to go. That will create special moments that transcend the actual flight.

"Flew out in the morning, spent the day catching fish at a small lake where there were no tourists, flew the fish home and ate them for dinner." Something along those lines.

With these types of experiences, your family will have a reason to become interested and supportive of aviation because something special is in it for them, over and above sharing Dad's passion for airplanes.

ALSO... most of the bushplane type of aircraft are more or less suitable for the kids to start flying, which is a personal achievement for them, a huge confidence builder, and once again gives them something that most kids don't have.

So my humble suggestion is picking an aircraft that can get the kids airborne safely with you, get them to interesting places, seeing the beauty of the world low and slow from above, and that the kids can learn how to fly, navigate, and of course help maintain.

T-craft / Champ / Cub type
    STOL-upgraded Tri-Pacer / Bushmaster
    Zenith 701/750 STOL series
    Avid/Kitfox type (later larger versions)
    RANS S6 / S7 series

Even though this is HBA, I have to suggest that something that is flyable now is the better option from the family and fun activity perspective. Once the family becomes as interested and enthusiastic as you, THEN you can revisit the MiniMax, Cassutt, whatever.

5. Nov 26, 2018 #125

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Yep, that is almost my list…

Really noteworthy and well-timed thread since I’m stumbling through the same perplexing self-scrutiny. I’ve blundered halfway through an embarrassing number of projects in the past few years and finally remarked to my wife (in self-disgust) last weekend that I ought to just buy something to fly and quit screwing around – astonishingly, she immediately agreed.

At slightly north of 70, the clock is ticking even if it ain’t apparent to me yet -- Now what…

6. Nov 26, 2018 #126

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

When I first signed up here on this forum everyone said to start building. I told everyone I can not for I have a bad back. That was the simple answer. Not sure anyone got the point. Sure I could have started to build. One hour at a time maybe a couple times a week. Doing it this way it may take 20 years to build something. I don't have twenty years. So I know, building is out if I really wanted to fly.

7. Nov 26, 2018 #127

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

One of the reasons I stopped working on the "building" part, and why I called on my customer the therapist was because I seem to have developed a anxiety over it.

I found out anxiety is learned behavior. It's something we teach ourselves. Here's how this kinda breaks down.

I'm always in a hurry, always rushed, always have 50 irons in the fire. When I get to the shop or home garage, which is nuts to have two at one time, I'm working on airplanes while being frustrated. The whole time I'm working on it I'm stressed and feel like I'm failing because I'm behind, or it won't be done etc etc. When my family becomes part of it they feel this negative emotion and it's really a dorm of disconnect.

The therapist really is clueless about the airplane building thing, obviously. Builders get it, she just kinda gets it. Regardless, she really had some great things to say to get me to understand the nature of what was happening. It would get to the point where I wouldn't even visit my plumbing shop where the Cassutt project is. Basically avoiding it because it was stressful. She explained that it's impossible for the project to be stressful, it's my thoughts about the project that are stressful. I'm creating the stress myself in how I look at it.

When I decided to "hurry up" and build a minimax in my home garage that is when I really started to go downhill. That became stressful, or as she says, the chaos.

This probably all sounds wacked. Years ago I wanted to build a Sonerai, then MM, then a Baby Ace......twice!!!, then a Baby Lakes, Cassutt, Minimax, etc. As I reflect back I think I tried to cram in these projects. Keep in mind, I've welded a schithouse full of other people's fuselages and parts. I haven't even mentioned that to her.

I'm rambling but here is the thing, I'm sick of building for the wrong reasons of which I don't know what they are. I love to fabricate, always have. It just seems like I have all these things going on in my life and building a airplane osike this distant thing that's impossible yet I try to just cram in in my life, in a hurry, etc. And like I said, these last couple years every time I work on it I get this dam anxiety where in my head I feel like it's wrong to be working on it and I'm bad for trying to do it.

To top it all off I have a wife and kids who love it when I'm working on it. Literally, they actually want me to work on it. My wife loves a Hatz and pretty much all biplanes, Henry just Loves Cubs, Emily loves it so much she's 8 months away the military to fly Helicopters. Oliver loves just hanging out working on stuff.

So that's what's crazy, it's me, it's how I somehow learned to look at this in a negative way and why I maybe get so short tempered. My therapist friend thinks I should examine what it is that's my goal. I'm not sure what that is.

What I know for sure is I helped a friend out the other day because he really needed help. He's not a welder so I helped him and I really enjoyed it. It was low stress. Great conversation, and he was genuinely thankful and so was I. And then we went flying. It was such an enjoyable day.

So that's how fcked up my head is right now.

davidb likes this.
  8. Nov 26, 2018 #128

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I'm sure most of us empathize with you Scrapper, but I'd like to point out this is a wide open Internet forum, not a close group of your friends. With the fact that ANYONE with computer access can read your plight, I'd suggest you back away from the keyboard until you get it figured out. IMHO, you are transmitting WAY too much personal info.

9. Nov 26, 2018 #129

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I'm not really worried about that, in fact, felt pretty good to type it.

Personal information would be like people turning GPS on the phone and putting exact locations on social media and posting it every 3 minutes with selfies and photos. Imagine a world where that would happen? Lol.

I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin. All sorts or people battle issues like this. I appreciate your concern but I assure you things are going great. Getting rid of a few things, sorting out some issues, some call that growth.

But I'll stop.

Turd Ferguson likes this.
  10. Nov 26, 2018 #130

davidb

davidb

davidb

You are quite normal and a few steps ahead of many of us when in comes to self-actualization. Cheers.

11. Nov 26, 2018 #131

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

What Toobuilder is referring to, I'm guessing, is that none of us want to see you have any difficulties with your aviation medical certificate because some microscopic head-in-rectum bureaucrat uses the information posted on this public forum as any sort of evidence that you are not suitable for being an airplane pilot because of personal, emotional, or behavioral issues.

I believe he is saying that not only are there well-wishers and kindred spirits reading all this, but there are perhaps people reading this who are not-so-well-wishers, and people whose agenda may include misguided or unjustified assessments of risk that could cause you serious problems when you do wish to return to aviation.

Imagine two eight year old kids playing with their LEGO set of building blocks, building miniature versions of tall buildings. Their parents are joyfully posting photos and videos of this in Instagram or Facebook or whetever. Then one of the kids steals the other kid's donut, so the donut victim kid takes a stick and knocks down the other kid's LEGO building in revenge. The video goes viral. Next thing they know, a black SUV arrives at the front of the house and both kids and their parents find themselves in Guantanamo Bay being questioned as to why they are practicing knocking down buildings. No actual national security threat is ever found, but the kids and parents have to prove themselves innocent for the next 10 years.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  12. Nov 26, 2018 #132

TFF

TFF

TFF

Good you have help that is working for you. I can tell you are doing the hyper "got to do everything myself because I know how too." I tend to do the same thing and nothing gets done like it should. You want it perfect, when perfect is not the goal for a hobby; fun is. There is no time limits with a hobby either. Starting a big project where you do every little bit looks easy on the television hot rod shows; they never really show you they worked on it with a crew for a year. Even the shows with the crews don't show all. I can plan the steps out; I can be on track sometimes pretty good, but not sustainable. All I can say is look around and say "I can dig this OK." Work, fun, whatever. A couple of seconds of reflection to shove the rest of the world out for a little appreciation. I doubt you will ever be the not busy type; just appreciate being busy doing things. I know the times its not fun is the best time to think this way. Usually somebody is having a worse day than you if you just give it a second of thought.

13. Nov 26, 2018 #133

ToddK

ToddK

ToddK

In my view the best value used experimental is a common plans or kit built design with the fuselage welded (or glued) up, and the wing ribs already made. These often sell at or below the price of the materials alone. These are also the biggest pain to fabricate, and make a great starting place for a build.

If you want something already built, it seems like there is a never ending supply of Rotax powered quicksilvers for $10K

Right now a there is a very very nice Chinook Plus 2 on Barnstormers for 8K. Probably the best value in Aviation at this moment. Very roomy, great load, and great view. https://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=search

14. Nov 26, 2018 #134

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I think the majority of regulars here have too many projects.
    If anyone has a solution let me know.

15. Nov 26, 2018 #135

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Bill has it right: there are bad people who are always on the hunt for an opportunity to exploit a situation. You're a big boy so if you feel the rewards of your posts outweigh the risks then have at it. I'm just here to remind people that despite how "comfortable" we get on a forum, in reality it is a very hostile environment as a whole.

16. Nov 27, 2018 #136

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

See theres your problem you have set deadlines to get it done. Building is a journey to be enjoyed. And you are scratch building which is like taking the journey by using the back roads driving a ford model A. Cant do that with a take the innerstate at 80mph attitude. Everyone who asks when i will be flying my project i always answer "a nice fall day".

17. Nov 27, 2018 #137

Raceair

Raceair

Raceair

Absolutely, Scheduling hobby does not work for me. When it feels right you do it. If you think you are robbing from other time commitments, don't work on the hobby. Although I have built and flown 19 homebuilts, there are 6 more hanging in the rafters that were not completed, and I don't really care that I have not finished them. Nothing to prove to anybody...... Hobby should be relaxing, not stressful.

18. Nov 27, 2018 #138

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Get a bigger stove top that has a lot of burners in the back. Nothing wrong with putting a project on the back burner. Can move it to the front when the time is right. Sometimes , while it sets on the back burner simmering, can solve a lot of problems in your head how you will attack various aspects of the project. Apologies for the cooking analogy, now I'm hungry.

19. Nov 27, 2018 #139

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Good thing the Project Police haven't stopped by my hangar, house, shop, and farm......I would definitely be charged with having way too many projects.....never get bored!

20. Nov 27, 2018 #140

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Yeah, that's what I've done. I took the Grob out of service and parked it in my back yard. It was taking too much time to keep in service. I wanted to focus on my final life goal, which is to design my own stuff.