Best priced GPS for the money?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

CALL911

How about the Garmin Aera 500?

Its a bit more expensive, but it would do the job nicely.
It is nice, but I bit more than I want to spend.

Take a look at this Lowrence 1000. It's black and white, but in my opinion has the biggest bang for the buck if your trying to keep to a budget.
Lowrance AirMap 1000 GPS Receiver - eBay (item 190505190147 end time Mar-01-11 19:13:02 PST)
Whoa! I like that a lot! Thanks for the reccomendation!

Double Eagle

Does anyone have expearance with the iFLY 720 GPS? I was looking also at the Garmin 500. The only way I can justify the cost is the ability of these two to be used in the plane and car.

Tony

I like both these units but a little to big for my little single seater. Both these units, I do believe, work in your car.

I am looking for a good used GPS one with a small screen. Something that would fit on my knee board, something around 100 bucks. Give or take a little.

Tony

Double Eagle

I just bought a Garmin 450 World GPS thinking it had voice turn by turn, but it dosen't and it is a little small for me to see. Other than opening the box and playing with it on my desk it is brand new, and i would take $200 for it.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Going along the dual-use line, I bought a low-budget iPad (version 1, 16 GB memory), a $100 Bad Elf external GPS and an $80 Foreflight subscription. The screen is big enough for my no-longer-as-good-as-they-were squintees, the functionality is great, and I can use the iPad the 99% of the time I'm not flying. The setup also allows for pre-flight planning, calling up the weather from any wifi spot, etc.
It's 100% fine for any VFR nav chore, and IFR approach plates, airfield diagrams, etc are included in the Foreflight subscription.

JohnWF

Google for "Q Starz" a 51-channel, WAAS enabled, 32-hour battery, BlueTooth's data to any compatible display unit like my HP4700 (or similar) Locks on instantly to your position., Cost: $64.95 I use it and the 4700 as a back up...a nice little unit - about the size of a small match box, weighs abut 2 oz or so.

Bill Strahan

Does anyone have expearance with the iFLY 720 GPS? I was looking also at the Garmin 500. The only way I can justify the cost is the ability of these two to be used in the plane and car.

I'm one of the AdventurePilot company founders. The iFly was the result of me and my partner always writing our own moving maps because nothing did EXACTLY what we wanted. I'm based at F69, near Dallas, Tx. If you're anywhere near there, please email bill@gdsx.com and drop by. I'll let you borrow my 720 and go for a flight, or we can go up in my Lightning.

Group Builder