Best HBA project to teach aero industry skills to HS students?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by TheMaj, Jun 24, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 2, 2019 #21

lvaero

lvaero

lvaero

If we were in NM, we would be happy to assist!

2. Jul 2, 2019 #22

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

When my son was in 11th grade at a country hillbilly school, (roughly 45 graduates per yr), an anonymous donor handed over 2.5 million dollars with the stipulation that it be used to advance the skilled trades. This is not unusual. The school board was so busy sucking up to the donor they didn't have time to judge anything.

Then there are high schools that do nothing but focus on aviation (see link below). This one is funded by the DeVos family. You may have heard of them, Betsy Devos is the US Secretary for the Dept. of Education. Yes, the current Secretary of Education is from an aviation family. They also happen to own the Amway Corp.

I'd be pulling out all the stops to get aviation into schools right now because the climate will never be this good again.

https://www.westmichiganaviation.org/

3. Jul 2, 2019 #23

Pops

Pops

Pops

Back in the old, old days when I was in high school, they just had a shop class for boys in the FFA ( Future Farmers of America ) and no one else. Heck, I grew up on a farm and helped work 100 acre hillside farm with a team of horses and grew or killed everything we ate. Why would I want to study everything I had been during since I was 6 years old. For me at the time, if I could have went to a trade school of some type in high school, it would like going to heaven. School in aviation, beyond my dreams. HS was so boring, except for history and math that I liked.

4. Aug 11, 2019 #24

TheMaj

TheMaj

TheMaj

Update on the aerospace project: I gave heed to much of the conversations above, and decided to submit two options on out grant. One will be a full kit by Rans: RV-12is. Our local EEA rep let me tag along on a local RV-12 build that was about 85% complete. Seemed like a great option for students to experience a project without getting too bogged down. Second option is the Zenith 750 which can be built from plans with lots of CAD work to build files to cut out parts on the CNC machine. This is the less expensive option. The final draft is submitted today and Ill let you all know how it goes in about a month.

Thank you for your insight and expertise! -TheMaj

Turd Ferguson and TerryM76 like this.